New and needing help deciphering lenses

Leviathan

I have a D90 and an older gen 70-300mm lens, no vr or any of the extras. I am shopping for a good lens in that same range maybe a little stronger but I see several 70-300 that all have different identifiers. Please help. I have seen some from $130-$6500....

DW_

That's easy - buy the most expensive lens you can afford. In the world of lenses, you really do get what you pay for.

fotojack

You can use that 70-300 with your D90 in manual mode. Great lens. With no VR, you'll need a monopod or a tripod. The more expensive lenses are what's called "fast glass"...such as f/2.8 . The less expensive glass are in the f/3.5 - 5.6 range. All lens makers have different identifiers for their particular lenses, such as VR for Nikon, IS for Canon, OS for Sigma, and so on. They all do essentially the same thing. When you add these features to a lens, it adds to the price. Stick with the one you have. It's a great lens. It just has to be used properly. :)

By the way...welcome to Nikonites. If you could fill out the rest of your profile...such as where you're from, the camera and gear you use, it would help us better to answer any of your questions. Have fun with your D90. :)

Leviathan

I filled out the profile. Guess it hasn't updated yet. A good name brand alternative to Nikon branded lenses? Sorry I did not specify in my first post. I was referring to Nikon branded lenses only. AF, AFS, VR, VRII, G, ED, etc... I know what af and vr are but the others I am not sure.

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I filled out the profile. Guess it hasn't updated yet. A good name brand alternative to Nikon branded lenses? Sorry I did not specify in my first post. I was referring to Nikon branded lenses only. AF, AFS, VR, VRII, G, ED, etc... I know what af and vr are but the others I am not sure.

If you are trying to understand what the various letters in a lens name indicate, look here.

bluenoser

Banned
A good name brand alternative to Nikon branded lenses? Sorry I did not specify in my first post.

If you want to get the best in the 70-300 range then in my opinion you should be considering either the Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR (vibration reduction) or the slightly newer Tamron 70-300 VC (vibration control). These are both great lenses for the money and you can't go wrong with either choice - some prefer the Nikon and others the Tamron. I have the Nikon 70-300VR and have been extremely happy with its performance.

AF, AFS, VR, VRII, G, ED, etc... I know what af and vr are but the others I am not sure.

All the information you need to know about Nikon lens naming conventions over the years can be found here: Nikkor Lens Technology

Bukitimah

I have been using the nikon 70-300 VR and it is a fantastic lens however, under low light, it is a challenge to focus. If you are likely to shoot in low light, the 70-200 VR f2.8 would be better. If $ is an issue go for pre-owned Tamron or sigma.

bobmielke

Hey that was a great link.

If you're not a fan of Scott Kelby and his work you might look more into his world. He's a leader in photographic training. His crew is comprised of top notch professionals like Moose Peterson, Joe McNaly, Jay Maisel & Matt Kloskowski. They really know Photoshop/Lightroom/Elements/Aperture Etc. DTOWN has been around for years and has spread from basically a Nikon users show to Canon users as well. Amateurs and pros alike can use the information they make available to the photography community. Check out Scott's blog as well. Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider | Photoshop & Photography Techniques, News, Books, Reviews & More

fotojack

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Scott Kelby. Love his work and his teachings. I have his latest book called The Digital Photography Book #2.

Eye-level

Banned
I had Kelby #1 and #2 but gave them away...

I have a small collection of Petersen's Photographic Digital Photography Guide published in 2009 in several volumes...they are great mags and available for peanuts on the net...volume 5 is "Choosing and using lenses"

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
I have a small collection of Petersen's Photographic Digital Photography Guide published in 2009 in several volumes...they are great mags and available for peanuts on the net...volume 5 is "Choosing and using lenses"

Agreed....love Petersen's stuff. I have Understanding Exposure, his Flash Photography book and his book on creative portraiture. (the latter 2 I only recently bought). His Close Up Photography book looks interesting and the last book you mentioned (which I hadn't heard of before) should be good too.