Snack Lady

bobmielke

I used to shoot a lot of portraits. I love distinctive faces and my "Snack Lady" certainly qualifies. I was using a D90 at the time and had just purchased a Nikon 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 VRII DX lens. I had heard that this VR lens greatly extended the user's capability at shoot at lower shutter speeds handheld. I put it to the test in this shot. It struck me as so special to see this older lady treasuring her ice cream cone with a spoon. She was sitting all by herself in the snack bar at the Evergreen Space Museum in McMinneville, OR. I will always treasure this shot.

965958305_vYdqJ-XL.jpg

Snack-Lady-Exif-L.jpg

bobmielke

Bob, did you do a screen capture to get this info up or ? And what software program is this?

I own an Apple iMac and use adjustable screen capture software called Skitch. The exif software is called iExifer. Skitch saves the captures as jpg files. Love it. The Windows equivalent is called SnagIt.

Rick M

Very nice capture Bob. I love the expression on her face, very intense about that Ice Cream! Nice crisp shot and the background is very interesting also, blurred enough not to distract, yet clear enough not to be noisy.

bobmielke

Very nice capture Bob. I love the expression on her face, very intense about that Ice Cream! Nice crisp shot and the background is very interesting also, blurred enough not to distract, yet clear enough not to be noisy.

The background was a historical wall depicting the heroes of the Space Program. At the longest focal length of the the lens, 200mm, I was still able to control depth of field & blur the background naturally. This photo has won a number of photographic forum awards.

bobmielke

I'm curious, Bob. Why such a high ISO? Was this shot taken indoors or out?

It was taken indoors in a dimly lit snack bar. Since I wanted to take the shot without flash I had to raise the ISO to maintain an aperture of F/5.6 at 200mm, 1/25". Still I was at the maximum F/stop with that lens.