Adobe Lightroom 2 vs 3 vs 4

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I thought I'd take a look at the main differences between Lightroom 2, 3 and 4. Below is a comparison of all the features between the three versions.

Lightroom Feature234
Location-based photo organization*
Importing libraries from other software*
Extended video support*
Basic support for video files**
Improved watermarking**
Cross-platform 64-bit support**
Multiple monitor support***
Offline photo management***
Batch application of Develop settings***
Adobe Photoshop integration***
Develop presets***
Tools to manage and refine many images at once***
Comprehensive image management***
Multiple viewing options***
DNG conversion***
Single or group metadata stamping***
File renaming***
Advanced search and sort***
Simple, customized keywording***
IPTC/EXIF/XMP metadata support***
Timesaving presets for import/export***
Metadata stamp on import***
Highlight and shadow recovery*
White balance brush*
Additional adjustment brush options*
Advanced noise reduction**
Film grain simulation**
Lens correction**
Perspective correction**
Selective editing brush**
Nondestructive environment***
Superior image processing***
Tracking of editing adjustments***
Before-and-after comparison***
Advanced black-and-white conversion***
Simplified tone curve tools***
Advanced hue, saturation, and luminance editing***
Intelligent sharpening***
Dust-busting***
Red-eye removal***
Photo book creation*
Video publishing*
Soft-proofing*
Direct email support*
Enhanced online sharing integration**
Improved customizable print packages**
Portable, easy-to-share video slide shows**
Flexible online publishing directly from Lightroom**
Integration with Flickr, a Yahoo! service**
HTML or Adobe Flash Player compatible web gallery output***
One-click publishing to your website***

via: Buying guide | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4

DW_

LR-4 is really nice and of course by providing the beta version we've all become accustom to the 4 environment. Going back to 3 just seems a little weak in comparison. The funny thing is that I purchased 3 under the student/teacher pricing, which means I'll pay more for my upgrade than I did for LR-3. Go figure...

Phillydog1958

I recently downloaded the LR 4 Beta and I also ordered LR 3 from Amazon. I haven't received it yet. It's enroute, but after reviewing this comparison table, I'm realizing that I have already become very accustomed to several features that LR 4 has and that LR 3 doesn't have.

DW_

I recently downloaded the LR 4 Beta and I also ordered LR 3 from Amazon. I haven't received it yet. It's enroute, but after reviewing this comparison table, I'm realizing that I have already become very accustomed to several features that LR 4 has and that LR 3 doesn't have.

Don't open the box and send it back as soon as it arrives. Amazon will accept unopened returns on software for a full refund. Right now Adobe is offering free shipping on LR-4, and although you can just download the software I strongly suggest you get the box/disc to go along with it, especially if it's the same price!

Phillydog1958

Don't open the box and send it back as soon as it arrives. Amazon will accept unopened returns on software for a full refund. Right now Adobe is offering free shipping on LR-4, and although you can just download the software I strongly suggest you get the box/disc to go along with it, especially if it's the same price!

I might have to do that. I just visited the Adobe site. LR 4 is only $149. That's a good price.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Has anyone noticed a problem with the process versions when moving their LR 3 (2010 PV) catalogues to LR 4 (2012 PV)? I'm subscribed to the Adobe Lightroom forums and get emails when anyone posts problems . . . my inbox is overflowing with people who are complaining about "color changes" in their pics when switching to LR 4.

bluenoser

Banned
I haven't noticed any Helene but I haven't gone through my catalogues that thoroughly yet. I've pulled up a few images after reading your post and nothing *jumps* out at me. I'll keep looking and see if I notice anything. Thanks for the heads up.

fotojack

Has anyone noticed a problem with the process versions when moving their LR 3 (2010 PV) catalogues to LR 4 (2012 PV)? I'm subscribed to the Adobe Lightroom forums and get emails when anyone posts problems . . . my inbox is overflowing with people who are complaining about "color changes" in their pics when switching to LR 4.

Why are they complaining to you? You didn't create LR 4! Tell them to take their concerns to Adobe!

bluenoser

Banned
Why are they complaining to you? You didn't create LR 4! Tell them to take their concerns to Adobe!

Hi Jack. I don't think Helene means that people are complaining to her directly. I believe she is simply subscribed to a thread (or threads) in the Adobe forum and her profile there is set-up to receive email notification when anyone posts in those particular threads (similar to the set-up in Nikonities and other internet forums).

DW_

Yes, Adobe has warned that converting to PV2012 will require some reworking of your files. It makes sense since PV2012 is a very different RAW format processor than the PV2008, so don't convert any DNG/NEF files that you do not want to rework. I've not noticed too great of a change, but those with heavily processed images will notice it more than those without. So if you're worried about converting, leave them at PV2008 and start PV2012 with all your new images.

Phillydog1958

i received my copy of LR 3 from Amazon. I returned it immediately and re-ordered version 4 from Amazon for the same price as version 3. I'll continue to use the Beta version 4 until mine arrives.

DW_

Good! But you don't have to continue with the beta version, you can download the real-deal on a 30 day trial basis and once your serial number arrives in the box just enter it and you'll be good to go. I'm using the real version while I wait for the box to arrive from Adobe, it's a little cleaner than the beta version and I feel confident enough to add my older catalogues to it, something I did not do with the beta.

Phillydog1958

Good! But you don't have to continue with the beta version, you can download the real-deal on a 30 day trial basis and once your serial number arrives in the box just enter it and you'll be good to go. I'm using the real version while I wait for the box to arrive from Adobe, it's a little cleaner than the beta version and I feel confident enough to add my older catalogues to it, something I did not do with the beta.

Cool. From where did you get the free trial for the actual version 4? From the Adobe website? I agree that the Beta version seems as if all features might not work. I just found it. Thanks for you help DWphotos. :)

Last edited: