Camera design

DW_

One of my biggest failings as a photographer is holding a camera steady. I hold my breath, tuck my elbows in and squeeze gently and I'm still unable to get much below 1/250 sec and things typically don't get sharp until >1/400 sec. It occurs to me that the current camera design is perhaps not the best and in fact hasn't changed much over 50 yrs. Interestingly, I can hold a rifle rock-solid even in a strong wind, in fact most people can. You can steady a rifle by pushing it hard against your shoulder and the hold is a much more natural rather than being bunched up at sharp angles your arms have to take when a camera is pressed against your face. I wonder why camera manufacturers haven't picked up on this fact and started designing cameras more akin to a rifle and utilize their scope technology toward a more ergonomic design that allows a far more steady hold? It seems to me this is an easy leap, especially for a company like Nikon who's scopes are one of the best made. I wonder why this hasn't already happened?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I guess because there are certain limitations what camera manufacturers can offer. No one would buy a camera if it was as long as a rifle. I did see some pretty neat rigs at CES, but they were aimed at video production. The same concept applies though.

DSC_1008.jpg

(that's a D4, btw)

DW_

Well, not that I thought it should be as long as a rifle, but rather that it should have a stock that you can press hard against your shoulder to steady it. More like a rifled pistol, or something like that. The above photo is certainly in line with that I'm trying to describe but far too high tech to be an "everyman's" item.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Right, I should've said 'long as a rifle, minus the barrel'. But, you're right, a simple shoulder stock would do the trick.

This company makes products similar to what you describe: BushHawk - Home

Mike150

I can only imgaine what a police officer might think if he saw me in a public place with that stock pressed firmly into my shoulder.

I'm guessing I would be spending a considerable amount of time lying on the ground with my arms spread and my face in the dirt.
Once the camera and stock were examined, I would think they'd take off the handcuffs, but you never know.

Obir

I can only imgaine what a police officer might think if he saw me in a public place with that stock pressed firmly into my shoulder.

I'm guessing I would be spending a considerable amount of time lying on the ground with my arms spread and my face in the dirt.
Once the camera and stock were examined, I would think they'd take off the handcuffs, but you never know.

LOL!!
Was thinking the same thing...
Not exactly what you want to use for street photography:)

fotojack

There is an old trick to overcoming camera shake that has been used for years by pros and beginners alike. You have to visualize this to see the beauty of it. Attach a bungee cord or surgical tubing to your belt and the other end to the bottom of your camera, just long enough that when you raise the camera to your eye, there will be a slight tension on the camera, eliminating movement. Another trick is to hang a monopod from the bottom of your camera, acting as a kind of gyroscope. Try Googling this:
dslr camera stabilizers

You'd be amazed what's out there. :)

jcottone45

Anyone want to buy a bullet proof jacket ? :rolleyes:

If I rigged my camera to a rifle butt as shown & tried to walk thru the streets of NYC, I'd get about one step out the door before the muggers would shoot me to get their hands on it & the cops would fire about 500 rounds before checking out the contraption so yea I'd need that bullet proof jacket & body suit to match.!!!Oh did I mention I too am allergic to bullets.!!!
Great idea if you live on Mars though!!!

Mike150

If I rigged my camera to a rifle butt as shown & tried to walk thru the streets of NYC, I'd get about one step out the door before the muggers would shoot me to get their hands on it & the cops would fire about 500 rounds before checking out the contraption so yea I'd need that bullet proof jacket & body suit to match.!!!Oh did I mention I too am allergic to bullets.!!!
Great idea if you live on Mars though!!!

Just remember Joe. If you were to do that, we would miss you.

westmill

Banned
You have your camera attached to your rifle stock..... its winter..... your wearing your belaclava......
mmmmmm I need some cash out of the bank...... :eek: