San Diego Skyline - 3/3/2012

DW_

This is my first attempt at panoramic night photography. I wanted to capture the reflection of the lights on the bay. Personally, I don't like the distance factor and how it makes the skyline seem so small, however, it did achieve the reflections I was looking for. I am planning on taking advantage of the Santa Anna conditions and try again tonight stitching together more photographs at a higher zoom power and see if I can't get a larger looking skyline that still retains the reflections in the bay.

D7000; 18-70mm F/3.4-4.5G @ 18mm; ISO 100; 30 sec @ f/6.3

20120303-san_diego_pan-1-edit-2-sm.jpg

bluenoser

Banned
I think you've done very well with this attempt Dave. Still looks quite pleasing to my eye. Perhaps even cropping off a bit more at the bottom would have made this even better (some dark - seemingly unrelated shadows at the bottom of the frame - middle to right. However I do look forward to your next attempt with a high magnification and framing.

Thanks for sharing this! :)

Last edited:

Rick M

Nice shot Dave. Composition with this type of image can be difficult, you want to capture the entire reflection and have to resist the urge to have the horizon too high, or sometimes directly in the middle. I think I would try cranking up the ISO to achieve perhaps a higher shutter speed and at perhaps f8. Excellent job with the pano stitching, the colors and reflections are fantastic!