AF18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC LD Asph. (IF) Macro Lens

Ben

Does anyone have this lens, and if so what are your thoughts?

I have a D3100 with the 18-55 kit lens and I either want to buy an all around 18 or 28 to 200 or 300 zoom and get rid of the kit lens, or keep the kit lens and add a 55-200 or 55-300 Nikkor.

I've seen some good things about the Sigma and Tamron lenses and the prices are great. I'm leaning towards the convenience of one lens, and most of what I like to do is outdoor nature type photography. I really wish I had a longer zoom with me during my recent trip to the Everglades.

Also, what are your thoughts on 55-200 vs. 55-300 vs. 70-300?

Thanks!

Rick M

As far as the Tele-zooms you mentioned- In the same order: Good, Better, Best (in the consumer class). Make sure you go with the vr version of 1 and 3.

RickSawThat

I use the 70-300 VR all the time. Great lens for the money! Found mine used just to make it an even better deal (Craigslist)

Last edited:

Ben

Thanks, guys. So you don't think I need the range down to 18mm, and just plan to keep the kit lens? It sounds like you like the Nikkor lenses much better.

Rick, I see you also own the 18-200, how often do you use that vs. the 70-300? How much did you get the 70-300 for? I see one on CL for $399, and new is $586.

Also, what makes the 70-300 better than the 55-300?

Last edited:

RickSawThat

I use the 18-200 quite a bit - used it today. If I had to stick with a single lends for walk around that would be it. Most of what I shoot is Street Photos and the reach of the 300 makes it the go to lens for that in most cases though. Both lenses are great and provide great results for me.

Ben

I just ordered a refurbished Nikon 55-300. Got it for less than people were selling used ones for, and I figure I can trust the factory refurb more than someone I don't know. I also threw in an SB-400 flash. How far away can I be at an indoor party for that lens/flash to work well?