Pink Flamingos

DW_

D7000, 70-300mm Nikkor, ISO 500, f/14 @ the world famous San Diego Zoo, March 2, 2012

20120302-_1DW4158-SM.jpg

DW_

Yeah, it kind of is. I suspect it may be in part due to the stuff they feed them to keep them pink. Unlike wild flamingos, these guys don't eat the pink krill and salt bacteria that turn the wild birds red. So I'm guessing they have to feed them some sort of food coloring or ? to keep the pinkness going.

bluenoser

Banned
Very nice picture Dave. More like an orangey/red "pink" flamingo! :)

I hear San Diego is a beautiful place! My wife wants us to move to Monterey when we retire for the perfect weather they get (at least we think it's perfect!) Anyway, I hope you like to take pictures of all the boats and ships that come into San Diego - I'd love to see them!

Last edited:

DW_

Very nice picture Dave. More like an orangey/red "pink" flamingo! :)

I hear San Diego is a beautiful place! My wife wants us to move to Monterey when we retire for the perfect weather they get (at least we think it's perfect!) Anyway, I hope you like to take pictures of all the boats and ships that come into San Diego - I'd love to see them!

Oh yes, Monterrey is awesome. And just south of Monterrey on the 1 is Big Sur and between Big Sur and San Luis Obispo is some of the most beautiful country in the world. We like to stay a week in San Simeon, close to where the elephant seals come up and birth on the beach.
About 3 months ago they held the America's Cup here in San Diego, I've lots of photos of those multi-million dollar boats racing around in the bay. I'll dig a few out of what ever hard drive they're on and post a few.