Flashes scare me!

Madphotogirl

I realize how important a good flash can be. I have a sb400 and I am considering getting a sb700. I hesitate because when I use flash I seem to completely over "flash" the subject making it look flat. I am hoping having more control over bounce and direction will help. Also I could be too close too.

Another thought I have is ditching flash all together and always relying on natural light, but I don't know if that is realistic.

Thoughts?

Carolina Photo Guy

I realize how important a good flash can be. I have a sb400 and I am considering getting a sb700. I hesitate because when I use flash I seem to completely over "flash" the subject making it look flat. I am hoping having more control over bounce and direction will help. Also I could be too close too.

Another thought I have is ditching flash all together and always relying on natural light, but I don't know if that is realistic.

Thoughts?

You have NO reason to fear a flash unit. If it gets out of line, just STOMP the crap out of it!

You'll probably win! :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Learn how to use the + and - EV control for your pop-up flash first. Once you master that and get over your "fear", then you can decide which off-camera flash you should get.

Obir

Try using negative flash compensation like Helene suggested and also using different angles when you tilt your flash when bouncing it. This has a really big impact on how your photos turn out.
I also have the sb400 and it's actually pretty good for small places and for fill flash. Nothing to be afraid of, just need to experiment with it a little.
I've read that the db700 is also an excellent flash for when you need more power.
I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time:)

Last edited:

jcottone45

You have NO reason to fear a flash unit. If it gets out of line, just STOMP the crap out of it!

You'll probably win! :)
I did what you suggested Pete, now, to whom do I send the repair bill or the new flash bill to???
I can understand the young ladies dilemma, every time I use my flash its a crap shoot as to how bad it will turn out even after experimenting with it & I finally think I got it right I get either very bright or very dark results & thats with both my pop up flash & my SB-10 flash from yesteryear.!!!
But then again you know my handle " the half assed photographer"

jcottone45

Learn how to use the + and - EV control for your pop-up flash first. Once you master that and get over your "fear", then you can decide which off-camera flash you should get.
Hi Helene, try as I might it still beats the crap out of me even after practicing with the flash, it seems as if the lighting is never the same when actually shooting as it is during practice, I've all but given up trying to master it.

Madphotogirl

Is the - EV control in the camera for the pop up flash? I have a D5100 and I am not seeing it in the manual. I know I have seen the - and + on flash units but my SB400 obviously does not have this.

Obir

On page 2 of the d5100 manual, the flash compensation button is shown as #5 (just behind the shutter release).
The sb400 has no manual settings. Everything is done through the camera (like you mentioned).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Madphotogirl

On page 2 of the d5100 manual, the flash compensation button is shown as #5 (just behind the shutter release).
The sb400 has no manual settings. Everything is done through the camera (like you mentioned).

Hope this helps.

That's actually for overall exposure compensation. There should be a way to adjust the flash output only, but I imagine that is only on the flash unit.

Dr Daniels

As much as I can, I never use the flash bare mounted on the hotshoe. It always makes photos very flat.
I know it's a bit of a pain, but I normally only use the flash off camera with a decent diffuser, e.g., umbrella or softbox.

Light coming straight from the camera onto the subject is always poor. I use at least two flashes off camera with the main one at approximately 45 degree from the subject and the other just to fill where needed.

Madphotogirl

I am looking for fill flash more or less. I don't a need for multiple flashes, right now. I want to experiment with fill outdoors as well but I don't know if it will work since my max sync speed is 1/200. I want my portraits to have more highlight without looking flat.