Ebay

Stangman98

Do any of you purchase items camera or otherwise off Ebay? I find a ton of stuff on there, but I don't trust buying for someone without seeing the item especially if it's expensive.

DW_

ONLY buy from dealers with a return policy, period. Even thou you can file a claim and automatically win it were you to buy from a vendor with a no-return policy, it's a hassle and not worth the effort compared to buying from a reputable dealer with a return policy. Ebay can be a great place to both buy and sell, but you have to be careful and buy only from people with perfect, or near perfect Feed Back (trust me, it's hard to keep it perfect, lemme tell ya) and one that offers a full refund policy and the most you'll risk is $5 or $6 in shipping.
Btw, Ebay is officially ending the 3, 7, and 10 day return policy and is forcing sellers to either offer no return or 14 days or great return policy. In some ways I'm okay with the change but it puts pressure on my bullion related sales since a dive in spot prices will most likely precipitate returns.

Eye-level

Banned
I have bought and sold tons of camera gear on Ebay...as a buyer I've had about a 75/25 good/bad experience but the good deals have made up for the bad and by bad I mean I have bought several cameras that were described as functioning but would arrive and have stuck shutters or what not...fixable in most cases but a PITA. As a seller I have just quit selling stuff...this has came about due to my selling old microscopes...you think camera folks are weirdos you oughtta deal with some microscope geeks. You completely describe the item and these guys will buy it then barrage you with instructions like take this apart take that apart package this this way that that way this seperately from that etc...you do all of this crap and the S&H runs you 30 bucks for 5-10 days delivery and the customer is complaining they haven't received their item after 5 days. Screw all of that!

Nowadays I just go to KEH you can get great deals and if you don't like the item you can return it for another copy or a refund...

Sambr

I had been lucky so far with EBay - I bought my 28-105 3.5-4.5 off EBay - best purchase I have made for a long time.

Pierro

There's good and bad everywhere. Its not unique to Ebay. The cheating scum that pop out of the woodwork on Ebay are the same sort that would rip you off when you take your car to the garage. Opportunists.

I've been on Ebay for 10 years, and 99% of the time had good deals. Some go a bit sour, but again, this happens in all walks of life. As both a seller and a buyer for those last 10 years, i can say with all honesty that buyers are without doubt the worst, when comparing sellers and buyers.

As for ' No Return ' policies from sellers, that is in no way binding. If you get sold a pup, you will get your money back

Snap Happy

Yes, I have purchased some good stuff and some not so good stuff off ebay. Just like any other place. The best you can do is read the feedback and read it well. I find most of the time it is applicable and honest.