Price Drop

bluenoser

Banned
The D700 at $2,100 (before tax) new is a great buy. It is such an amazing camera and a proven work-horse. Also, the deals for a used D700 are getting better and better. The prices seem to be drifting down to the $1,800ish area for low shutter count models and down to as low as $1,500 for the higher shutter count models. FX has never been so accessible! (assuming you can find one!) ;)

bobmielke

The D700 at $2,100 (before tax) new is a great buy. It is such an amazing camera and a proven work-horse. Also, the deals for a used D700 are getting better and better. The prices seem to be drifting down to the $1,800ish area for low shutter count models and down to as low as $1,500 for the higher shutter count models. FX has never been so accessible! (assuming you can find one!) ;)

I am blessed to be living in Oregon where there is no sales tax on anything. My pre-ordered D800 = $2995, my new Nikon 24-70 = $1695. Not one penny went to taxes and everything ships for free.

bluenoser

Banned
I am blessed to be living in Oregon where there is no sales tax on anything. My pre-ordered D800 = $2995, my new Nikon 24-70 = $1695. Not one penny went to taxes and everything ships for free.

Colour me green with envy Bob!! (Ontario - 13% tax on almost everything! :()

bobmielke

Colour me green with envy Bob!! (Ontario - 13% tax on almost everything! :()

I moved to Oregon from South Carolina who had a 6.5% sales tax. That would have meant an additional $305. Ouch!

I've learned I can also save money by carefully shopping. My D800 camera body is coming from a local Camera World shop in downtown Portland, OR since the prices will be the same, especially new gear, regardless of vendor. I got a bargain on my Nikon 24-70mm F/2.8 FX lens at TheCameraBox.com for $1695. That same lens sells at Amazon.com for $1889 and $1887 at B&H Camera in New York, my normal goto sources for deals.

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
Well that's why buying used equipment privately is so appealing to me. Even though a new D700 is priced very well now, once you put on the taxes it balloons very quickly by another few hundred dollars. I bought my D700 in early Feb. when a new D700 was going for (tax included) about $2,700. I bought a mint condition D700 (only 4,500 shutter count, came with box, manuals, everything like you just bought it new) plus a the Nikon MB-D10, an extra Nikon battery and a 16GB SanDisk Ultra II card - all for a total price of exactly $2,000. At the time that saved me a good $1,000 if I had bought all those things new.

I do buy most things brand new but that deal was just too good to pass up! :)

Iansky

The D700 in the UK is still retailing for around the £1650.00 mark and with prime Nikon stockists there does not appear to be an issue getting hold of them, one of the most famous stockists who only sell Nikon " Grays of Westminster" have stock and no issues getting them and they are still advocating that it will run alongside the D800 for the forseable future.

I am not considering upgrading as the D700 gives me all the quality I need and when shooring Raw at 14bit and processing as 16bit I get files that are 70mb so plenty big enough for large prints if needed, I do finally downsize to 8bit for posting and converting to JPEg but nice to know quality is there if needed.

The D800 looks like a nice camera but it's standard image size at around 70mb (base Raw format) is huge and will take up a lot of space even as Tiffs and I understand from reading reviews that the IQ is not hugely different from that of the D700 especially in low light so for me, the D700 will remain my trusty and reliable friend for quite a while to come.

Last edited:

clarnibass

I considered a new D700 that a friend can bring form USA. I also considered the KIT with the 24-120 lens for $2,750 and probably selling the lens locally for about $1,000 (though this is a gamble as it might be very hard to sell). In the end I have an option for a (supposedly, still have to check) very good condition used D700 for $1,400 and it comes with a card and two spare batteries. Buying new everything is more expensive here, a D700 costs about $2,800 (including local tax). Used ones seem to be about the same price as in USA.

westmill

Banned
Ive just checked here in the UK its priced at £1625.... it has been that price here for months now. Its still cheap though. Its only £500 more than the D300. I would be very tempted but I still prefer the APSC format and the D400 is waiting in the wings. I feel it will likely be about the same price. So Im binding my time. Ive waited this long lol. Im in no rush either. Im still happy with what I have for now :D

AC016

I am sure you get screwed by the government in some other way, lol;P

TedG954

I bought my D700 locally from a private owner. Confirmed actuations was 11k. The camera is in excellent condition, with the original box and accessories. Price: $1400. He was asking $1700.

Some people have a need to own the latest and greatest, that being the new D800 or D600. This was the case in my purchase. The well-to-do seller just bought a D600 and no longer needed the D700. I believe that's where the best buys are to be found.

Will the D600 make any difference in the seller's photography? I seriously doubt it, but his need to own Nikon's latest offering will make a difference in my photography.

simonhodge

I bought my D700 locally from a private owner. Confirmed actuations was 11k. The camera is in excellent condition, with the original box and accessories. Price: $1400. He was asking $1700.

Some people have a need to own the latest and greatest, that being the new D800 or D600. This was the case in my purchase. The well-to-do seller just bought a D600 and no longer needed the D700. I believe that's where the best buys are to be found.

Will the D600 make any difference in the seller's photography? I seriously doubt it, but his need to own Nikon's latest offering will make a difference in my photography.

I'm hoping to take advantage of a similar situation if i can or someone I know whos thinking of moving to Canon. I'm not going to talk him out of it as i want the pick of his gear ;)