Decision---Help!

sepia princess

Hi Folks,
I'm back from no-mans-land, through a series of set backs (mostly technical, some OPE:D) I haven't been able to post for some time and I have really missed you guys! I have lurked some, Helene, your HDR pics are amazing and you witty gentlemen, your back and forth insults and quips crack me up! But, on to my question, decision, conundrum, I finally got my own DSLR, I've been using a borrowed D50 for almost 2years now. I purchased the D700, and I currently own a 50mm F/1.8 and I am trying to figure out what other lens I need to shoot for the following event. The first picture was shot with a little fuji point and shoot, I'm posting it as a example of the venue and available lighting during the day. Evening shooting in Tingley is really bad, flash is not allowed at any time inside the arena.
View attachment 8655
This next shot was using the D50 with a 70-300mm lense non-VR, a little better but still not the sharp focus I'm looking for.
View attachment 8657
I've done a lot of research and most equestrian photographers recommend the 70-200mm lens, it's a little out of my price range right now. So my ?, do you think I'll be happy with a 70-300mm with VR or should I go wide with something like an 18-35mm? I'll be close to the floor but not in the arena itself. Any input would be helpful. I hope I gave enough info for some informed recommendations.
Thanks in advance!!

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hi and welcome back! I can't open your attachments . . . you might have to re-upload them. Try again and then we can help you with your question when I can see the venue. What are you shooting? Jumping, dressage? So happy for your purchase of a D700.

sepia princess

MA2010-1.jpg
Tingley coliseum at the NM state fair grounds, State fair Queen's competition, it's a three day event with girls from every county in the state. Western, horsemanship, public speaking and modeling are part of the competition, riding events will be in the arena, other events will be in the Native American theater.
morganBCQ10_11-108.jpg

morganBCQ10_11-001.jpgThis year's bernalillo county queen:) Thanks for your help.

ohkphoto

Snow White
The second picture which you shot with a 70-300, I'm guessing was shot at too slow a shutter speed because you've got motion blur (horse hooves and tail) The rest of the subject is pretty sharp. Without flash, you're going to need a pretty fast lens if you don't want any motion blur. You might consider renting a 70-200 f/2.8 from Borrowlenses.com
Any time I'm not sure, I rent from them.

Regarding the 18-55, that will serve a different purpose. You'll get the whole arena, but no close, interesting shots. I would think for an equestrian event, you would want a telephoto.

Hope this helped a little.

fotojack

I hope you're shooting in Shutter Priority Mode, as that will help with stopping motion. Shutter mode should be used in any type of action shot. Also, set your camera to
CH (Continuous High) mode. Look at the picture, and you'll see that it's set to CH on the top left of this camera.

Nikon_D700_top.jpg

This is a burst mode that takes a bunch of shots at once. Out of all the shots it takes, you're bound to get a few that would be spot on and sharp. Hope this helps. :)

Dr Daniels

The 70-200mm f/2.8 VR seems to be the ideal lens for action photography because of the fast and accurate focus motor of this brilliant lens.
Sports shots with fast moving subjects is a difficult thing, the ideal would be to have the subject in focus and the background motion blurred by panning. I personally think that the horse's feet should be motioned blurred as well to give a feeling of speed and movement.

I second the advise to set your D700 in shutter priority, and would almost lean towards manual mode with auto ISO since your D700 will handle high ISO just fine.
Set your auto focus switch to C (continuous focus) and use the D700's awesome 3D tracking focus points for accurate panning.
I would stay with apertures of between f/4 and f/8, and shutter speed between 1/60 (or lower) and 1/100 max. The 70-200mm's VR will help panning at low shutter speed.

Last edited:

sepia princess

Thanks for the input Jack and Dr. D. I'm writing it all down so I can practice before the event. The low light shooting capabilities and the 5-fps are the biggest reasons I sprang for the 700.
Thanks again!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the input Jack and Dr. D. I'm writing it all down so I can practice before the event. The low light shooting capabilities and the 5-fps are the biggest reasons I sprang for the 700.
Thanks again!

Don't forget the high iso with the D700. You can go up to 3200 without fear. 6400 is OK depending on how large you want to print.

3Ring

You might consider the predecessor to the 70-200/2.8. It's the 80-200/2.8 and I pick one up used. I love that lens. No VR, but still a great lens at a more affordable price point.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You might consider the predecessor to the 70-200/2.8. It's the 80-200/2.8 and I pick one up used. I love that lens. No VR, but still a great lens at a more affordable price point.

Great lens. Also, I forgot to mention, GET A MONOPOD! You'll need it to support that heavy lens.