A Little rant on Nikon Marketing...

Madphotogirl

So I have had my D5100 for a month now and I really love it. I had a hard time deciding between the D5100 and the D7000 and I realized that I needed to spend the extra money I had on glass and not a bigger body. Well I have an iPad and I love that Nikon has a magazine now, (www.nphotomag.com) and it has some really great articles on how to get the most of your camera. It's all written, published and supported by Nikon. I expect a little bit of marketing towards Nikon products, that's a given. I read a comparison between current DSLR bodies and the D3100 was perferred over the D5100! (No offense to those users at all) They suggested buying a D90 vs the D5100. Now eventhough the D90 is a great camera, the technology is getting a little aged, but it has a higher price point so then Nikon can make more $$ off us..

I really am the **perfect** target for Marketers. They made me seriously think if I "liked" my D5100! I finally talked some sense into myself and my conclusion is that IF hadn't of gotten the D5100 I would have waited a LONG time to get the D7000. Now, I am started to obtain some nice lenses and when I am able to upgrade my camera body, I'll have the D5100 as a back up.

;)

Does anyone else get persuaded and distracted by the Nikon marketing and gear?

fotojack

BTW how do I add lenses to my equipment list in my profile?

Go to the top right hand side of the page and look for Settings and click on it. Look down the left side of the next page, then just add them to your signature......below the signature line. Look for the cursor and hit Enter. It will move the cursor to the next line down and go from there. :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Nope. You just gotta know what you want. I work with "aged" technology every day (my D200 and D2X) and never once have I thought of trading them in for newer "hot" models.
"Equipment does not the photographer make."
IMHO

Madphotogirl

IMHO[/QUOTE]
I know, I know.. :) I'm not much of a fashionista. I don't care much about clothes and shoes but man I love gear!! I just thought I may find other "Gear - aholics" (GAs) and start a support thread... LOL :p

Carolina Photo Guy

IMHO
I know, I know.. :) I'm not much of a fashionista. I don't care much about clothes and shoes but man I love gear!! I just thought I may find other "Gear - aholics" (GAs) and start a support thread... LOL :p[/QUOTE]

We are an old bunch here. You will most certainly find a lot of GAs here, just not what you think it is!!!:)

Eye-level

Banned
I could have easily purchased a D5100, D300, even D700 but I chose "aged" technology in the D5000 because I knew what the camera was capable of...and mainly because I am a big cheapskate!!! :)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Meh, I always want the next great thing. Do I have the cash to get it? Nope :) No doubt Nikon is touting the D3100 a bit because it's their entry level DSLR, and it's cheaper. They easily make more money off of it from pure volume of sales vs the D4. The D90, they're just trying to get rid of old stock. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they're making new ones anymore, it's just old ones that are still in stock.

Yuck, if I ate KFC right now I'd have more than GAs. lol (btw, watch the documentary Food inc and you'll never want to eat there again)

Madphotogirl

. The D90, they're just trying to get rid of old stock. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they're making new ones anymore, it's just old ones that are still in stock.

Yuck, if I ate KFC right now I'd have more than GAs. lol (btw, watch the documentary Food inc and you'll never want to eat there again)

First off that is what I thought. Secondly I NEVER watch food documentaries about anything because I'd like to eat SOMETHING. Its all horrible.

Madphotogirl

I could have easily purchased a D5100, D300, even D700 but I chose "aged" technology in the D5000 because I knew what the camera was capable of...and mainly because I am a big cheapskate!!! :)

I wish I was a cheapskate, but then I'd never have a camera if I were.

Thanks all for your comments. I feel much better. Nikon is huge because of great marketing, and I always fall fool for it, along with Apple, but that's another forum!

Sambr

Nope. You just gotta know what you want. I work with "aged" technology every day (my D200 and D2X) and never once have I thought of trading them in for newer "hot" models.
IMHO

Amen Helene :) - and us "old guys work pretty good too" :)