First Lenses: Zooms V Primes on D7000

briandunlea

Hi all, I've been thinking, that's never a good sign.
I've posted about lenses before but this is a new angle (pardon the pun).
I'm torn between buying 3 primes or a zoom and one prime.

I'm buying a d7000 which I'll be getting in about a week. I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and I've narrowed my options down to two choices (but I'm open to suggestions of course).

OPTION 1 (PRIMES) Total Price: €1,079 max, probably 10% cheaper:
Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D
Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G

OPTION 2 (ZOOM AND PRIME) Total Price €1,185 max:
Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G DX
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G

I've analysed my shooting and the shots I like.
I love the 50mm (75mm equiv) length and I've been leaving my Fuji x10 at that zoom length to experiment.

Also I've analysed my shots so far and 86% are between 28mm and 75mm.

With option 1 I know I'll be losing 8mm at the wide angle but I don't see it as a major problem.
As I'm a musician I'm attracted by the "faster" primes for low light shooting. I can see the versatility in a zoom lens and the fact that I wouldn't have to change lenses as much. But I don't know if that would be much of an issue. Hard to say.

I also would like to have the option to keep the lenses if I move to fx in a few years, excluding the 35mm DX and 16-85mm of course.

You can see what I've been shooting so far with the Fuji X10 (a camera I love) at Flickr: BrianDunlea's Photostream
It's a long post I know but I'd prefer to get as much info in as I can to let you know where I'm at.

Thanks in advance to any who answer or who have any suggestions.
Cheers,
Brian.

Bukitimah

Personally, I love prime after owning the nikon AFD 50 f1.8. But I am not sure you want 3 prime at such a close range. Changing lenses will be cumbersome.

Eye-level

Banned
I shoot with primes only (and ancient ones at that)...one thing I would like to say right off the bat with your D7000, lens speed particulary low light situations, is going to be sort of a moot point...the 7000 shines at high ISO from what I have seen. So with just about any decent zoom you are probably going to be fine even shooting in low lit club scenes and what not and you'd love the fact that you wouldn't have to fumble around in the dark trying to change lenses plus imagine what it would be like to be caught in a mosh with your Domke and 1000 euro lenses!

Now personally my favorite primes are 28, 85, and 105 but that is just me (the real reason is I wear glasses and like to do everything myself so I can focus much easier with the longer focal lenghts and the 28 is wide enough you can scale focus it like a breeze)...I like primes because they tend to be faster, smaller in size than a zoom, and sharper.

Looks like option 2 IMO and the great thing about option 2 is that you get to go wider and longer than with your primes...

You might look up a guy here on Nikonites named Regsy...Regsy shoots a lot of music festival type deals indoors and out I believe and his stuff is pretty cracking...he may be able to help you out with your most important decision!

Last edited:

Rick M

I like both zooms and primes, but you are limiting yourself with option #1, as others have mentioned. I have the 16-85 and love it, mostly because I like to shoot at the wide end and love the flexibility. The 16-85 is one of the sharpest non-pro zooms Nikon makes. I also do not like changing lenses a lot due to the potential for missed shots and the elements.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there.

I love how much thought went into your post! Well done.

If you're set on a 50mm prime I'd recommend going for the 50 1.8G over the 50 1.4G. Less money, better AF and I'd say equal image quality (some say better).

Instead of the 16-85VR (a nice lens but just a better built and more expensive version of the 18-105) I'd try and find a used Nikon 17-55 2.8 for not much more money. Otherwise, one of the 3rd party option from Tamron or Sigma in the 17-50 2.8 variety would be a good option.

If you did go the above route and get the 17-55 (or 3rd party equivalent) then I think your concert photography would be better served with the new (or the old for that matter) Nikon 85 1.8 (the new G which is supposed to be amazing or the older D version). I think you'll find the extra focal length welcome with concert photography.

Jeff makes a great point about the D7000's high ISO ability. It's the best of Nikon's current crop sensor cameras (including the D300s). You can shoot easily up to ISO 3200 which will allow you some very respectable shutter speeds to help freeze the action.

Good luck with your deliberations. I know choosing a lens combination can be a somewhat frustrating experience but I'm sure you'll be happy with any of the choices you've set out for yourself.

briandunlea

Hey all, thanks so much for the advice. It all makes sense.

I talked with my local shop today and my guy suggested to get a Sigma 17-70mm. He has one coming in for about €200 used. This covers the majority of the shooting I have been doing. I can get the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 as well.

The store has been in Cork for years and they are a reputable company. I'm sure if I don't like the Sigma he'll take it back for something else.

The way I see it I can experiment with the zoom, have my fun and shallow dof with the 50mm. From there I can decide what primes (if any) I'd like to purchase in the future.

The Sigma gets good reviews compared to it's competitors and it goes wider than my Fuji X10 which will be interesting.

Even if I don't like it in 6 months time I can trade it back and get something better without losing too much and treat it like a long term rental.

Does that make sense????

briandunlea

Done deal. Sigma 17-70mm OS brand new €230. Getting the Nikkor 50mm 1.4g also. And of course the D7k body. I really can't say no. If I don't like the Sigma he'll take it back. If I don't like it after 6 months I'll get a good buy back price and upgrade to a better Nikkor. But I think my next purchase will be a prime. For now I'm happy with what I'm getting. Thanks for the suggestions guys and gals.

Much appreciated.

Brian.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I was going to suggest the Nikon 16-85mm and 35mm f1.8G DX for greater coverage.

Just check the focusing of the Sigma. You can always do a micro or fine adjust with the lens if they are back focusing using the D7000. Enjoy your new toys.