Old Malagasy man

Dr Daniels

6355227211_54809a6fde_z.jpg

This photograph was taken in an old street in Antananarivo, the old man was selling vegetables and his stall was only lit by a single bulb hanging from its wire.He reminded me of some old painter.

Exif:
Lens: Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 G
Aperture: f/1.4
Exposure: 1/60
ISO: 1800

Last edited:

Rick M

It's a nice shot Doc, amazing detail on his face! Excellent DOF also, would be nice if the shadow wasn't there but being a candid shot it's excellent.

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there Dr. D.

This is a wonderful image. The rich colours, sharpness, clarity and wonderful depth of field are striking. I see where you think this gentleman could be a painter - he's got that look. What deep character lines he has - certainly a very interesting face.

If it had been possible, I would have put a bit more separation between the subject and the back walls for an even creamier looking depth of field and further subject isolation. Also, getting a bit more light on the left side of his body/face may have added a bit more balance.

Really a superior looking shot, Dr. Looking forward to more of your work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Daniels

Thanks for the kind words! :)
Bluenoser: the lighting issue was a challenging one, this photograph was taken at night with that one bulb hanging above the subject. The stall was right in front of the old man, so he could only move backward, but he would then be completely against the wall. That was the best compromise I could find.