Just out of the oven

amonamarth

DSC_1068.JPG

Rick M

Good composition, but as Jeff said, you need some more DOF. Higher ISO would have given you a bit more shutter speed also, 1/50 is a bit slow (if it was handheld).

ohkphoto

Snow White
Actually, I like the dof of the first one. I would have just moved the buttered slice forward (towards the camera) so that only that slice would have been in focus. It would also have helped your composition --not everything going in a straight line.

Makes me hungry for homemade bread! :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I actually liked the first one more also, the shallow DOF works better for me.

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

I really like the shallow DOF, but... I would have prefered if the focus would have been on the butter which is the center of attention of that shot in my opinion.

bluenoser

Banned
Hello amonamarth (do you have a first name? If so perhaps update your signature or profile).

The Photo Critique section has some guidelines that have been set out by the admin. team here at Nikonites. Therefore when posting a photo to this section as you've done please keep in mind the following "rules":

Include as much info as possible along with your image, including:

• EXIF data
  • Intent/artistic interpretation of the photograph

If you do not wish to provide this level of detail or you perhaps have a more general intention with regard to posting an image, then I would kindly ask that you post your pictures in the general photography area, your gallery or blog space.

I would invite you and any others reading this post to click on the following link and check out the complete set of rules for posting in this forum (which can be found "stuck" at the top of this forum) http://nikonites.com/photo-critique/914-critique-forum-rules.html

Thank you very much for your cooperation.

PS. In terms of critique, I would say the first image is preferable. The warmer white balance does seem to work better with the image of homemade bread and melting butter. Perhaps a bit more separation of the slice and the main loaf would be better with the slice moved a bit off angle as Helene suggested. I like the shallower depth of field however I would compose as suggested before and move in a bit closer and perhaps lower the angle of view. Oh how I do love everything about homemade bread...the smell and taste is heavenly! :)