Chess anyone?. . .

miknoypinoy

http://
jungle2011.jpg

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D300
Date/Time: 2010:09:19 18:12:16
Resolution: 1024 x 680
Flash Used: Yes (manual, return light det...
Focal Length: 105.0mm (35mm equivalent: 157...
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/14.0
ISO Equiv.: 400
Whitebalance: Manual
Light Source: Flash
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

took this picture a while back. . .one of my many snakes. . .one of my favorite photos. . .i have 12 boa constrictors and the smaller ones seem to be my favorite subjects (easier to handle the little guys. . .lol). . .i dont even own this camera or lens anymore. . .(kicking my self!. . .). . .i wasnt trying to portray anything special in the photo but just wanted to capture her beauty. . .2010 jungle female boa constrictor imparator. . . thanks in advance. . .

miknoypinoy

may be the subject matter was too "exotic" ? it's funny cause on the snake forums I always get "nice snake" and "great pics". its more about the morph of the snake, rather than the photograph itself. . . no one really comments on depth of field, composition, etc. I'll try again with a non snake photo. lol. thanks again.

bluenoser

Banned
Hi Mike. No offense but I think most people (well except for Jeff of course, lol!) have a hard time wrapping their head around owing 12 boa constrictors (is that even legal?) - and then having one of them perched on their chess board for a photo shoot.

I have to say I was a bit creeped out and that's why I just sort of passed it by when I first saw this thread.

Sorry - nothing personal (Now you've got me wondering....I sure as hell hope my next door neighbour doesn't have a snake collection - I prefer kittens and puppies - I'm old fashioned that way) :)

Last edited:

Rick M

I was hoping for a game of chess and left disappointed!

It is an interesting shot but I think the whole snake needs to be in the shot. It just does not feel balanced to me.

miknoypinoy

no offense taken by anyone. lol. I figured I might have this problem with my subject matter. as I mentioned, i have it on the snake forums but to the opposite affect (people liking the snakes but not appreciating the photo itself). I didn't put the whole snake in the picture, as I use the head as the subject , and majority of the body as the leading line. I guess I should have explained it in my first post. thanks anyways all. I'll get some different pictures up for the next ones. (boa constrictors aren't so bad. they are very docile creatures and low maintenance pets once you get your husbandry skills down. but again, to each his own).

Dr Daniels

Hi Mike, I'm not great at criticism but I will try to be constructive. :p

I like the fact that you used a shallow DoF to make us pay attention to the boa's head. I'm not into snakes, but boas have nice shaped heads. On your Exif, I was surprised to find that your aperture was actually pretty closed.
I like the repeating patterns of the boa's skin, chessboard also have a repeating pattern...

What would have worked better for me (tell me if you agree):
- More dramatic light
- no foreground severed part of the snake, it brings tension to your composition especially because it's in focus
- more of the chessboard and chess pieces

miknoypinoy

Hi Mike, I'm not great at criticism but I will try to be constructive. :p

I like the fact that you used a shallow DoF to make us pay attention to the boa's head. I'm not into snakes, but boas have nice shaped heads. On your Exif, I was surprised to find that your aperture was actually pretty closed.
I like the repeating patterns of the boa's skin, chessboard also have a repeating pattern...

What would have worked better for me (tell me if you agree):
- More dramatic light
- no foreground severed part of the snake, it brings tension to your composition especially because it's in focus
- more of the chessboard and chess pieces

thanks dr d. dramatic lighting would have been better. I just bounced the flash of the ceiling with a +1 or .7 I think. these guys move around a bit and I skimped out on my lighting. as for severed snake, I have a bad habit of pushing in too close. need to fix that. thus less chess pieces in the shot (you like my checkmated tipped over king?). as for the f stop, I was using my beloved 105 micro (kicking myself again for selling it). beautiful bokeh on that bad boy thus I needed to shoot so closed to keep some of her body in focus also. thanks again. I have plenty to learn and welcome all the criticism.