filters for 50mm F/1.8G Nikkor lens

DW_

So I've been looking into a UV and/or a circular polarizing filter for my new 50mm lens. I've not thought about filters since my B&W days in those were all colored. Anything in front of my lens will reduce the total amount of light getting thru the lens, some more than others, so I would like to pick up the best of the best. I remember Hoya was a decent filter but again, this was a good 15+ yrs ago.
Can someone in the "know" point me in the right direction?
TIA
Also, what is the difference between a UV filter and a UV-Haze filter?

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there.

I believe that B+W make some of the best quality filters around (they are all I use). They use brass mounts (not aluminum) and are far less likely to stick to the front of your lens. If you've ever grappled with a stuck filter you know what a pain that can be! (my HOYA filters used to stick now and then but since I've moved on to B+W no such problem). Heliopan is another good quality filter but they are usually pricier for about the same quality.

Not much difference between a UV/UV haze filter - from what I recall, just varying degrees of haze gets filtered out (i.e. UV/Haze (0), or (1) or (2)).

Of course there is the age old debate (that has no end) about whether UV (clear), UV Haze should be used at all. Many swear by them and leave them on their lenses all the time, some never use them and say they degrade image quality and just use their lens hood (which further recesses the front element) and some just use them when the situation calls for one. (I'm not referring to polarizers or ND filters).

grey tones

i just bought a new lens as well and am trying to figure out if i should use a filter or not
i always use the hood and i am not sure i see the logic in spending money on great glass then
putting a cheap piece of glass in front of it
and it seems any filter is going to cost me upwards of 300 dollars or so

Last edited:

fotojack

So Tiffen UV filters are pretty good? What about Hoya.. I have a Zeikos for my camera now..But I can't seem to find a Zeikos 58mm Filter.

Yes, Tiffen filters are very good, as are Hoya. Nothing wrong with Zeikos filters, but just be aware that they are at the bottom of the quality scale. :)

capitaltpt

Hoya filters are great, just stick with the HMC or Pro1 Digital ones. I have them on all my lenses. A suggestion for the Polarizer, get a 77mm one (which is the size of most Nikon pro lenses) and then just buy a step up ring for any of your lenses. It's cheaper than buying a separate polarizer for each size and keeps you prepared for future purchases.