Which One?

airman85b

Which lens should I get?

Nikor AF-s 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED for $60'

or

Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Telephoto Zoom-Nikkor Lens with HB-26 Hood $120

The 55-200 is local and is in great condition.
The 70-300 is new.

I have a
35mm
24mm
18-55 kit so nothing that for distance. Any advice guys! Thanks and Sorry for so many questions I just keep getting stuff for free ie the 24mm and I think the 55-200 is a good deal!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think the 70-300 is a much better lens. But I've never used the 55-200… If you can try them at your local camera store, you probably could very well make that decision yourself.

bluenoser

Banned
Hi. Frankly, neither one of these lenses are particularly good. However the VR versions of both of these are very good.

I would recommend looking at the 55-300VR or the 70-300VR as reasonably priced but great quality consumer zoom lenses.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

fotojack

Absolutely. Get the VR versions. I have the 55-300 AF-S VR version myself, and love it.

Having said that, if you are going to get one of those you mentioned because of budget considerations, take the 70-300 AF. It's much better than the 55-200...both of which I've owned and subsequently sold. As Rick said, you'll be using a tripod on it very often.

Last edited:

airman85b

Ok thanks guys. Budget isnt an issue but rather that I'm still a rookie with DSLRS and thaught I should try to find some lenses inexpensive so I can play with them and find my niche with takeing pictures. But I will prolly get the 55-300 as FotoJack has mentioned. Thanks again!