My Quandary - Need A Sanity Check

What should Ed do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
So. . . my long suffering wife of nearly a year is aware of my "research" into the D800. I'm nearing a tipping point but two things are stopping me: the rumored upcoming price drop of the D700 and the anticipated D300 replacement. And as much as it would be awesome to have 36.3MP, as an amateur, do I need it? (Keeping chanting Maslow's hierarchy in your head, Ed.)

I'm very happy with my glass but of course that would have to change if I went to FX. Out would be the Nikkor 17-55mm, Nikkor 18-200, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G and Sigma 10-20mm.

If I went to a D700 or D800, I'd immediately have a Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, Nikkor 35mm f/2.0D, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D, Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G Micro, and a Nikkor 70-300mm /f4.5-5.6G. I'd probably sell the 70-300 and add a Nikkor 28-300 f/3.5-5.6G. This would be an awesome kit but missing an ultrawide (which I use a lot).

I need to make a decision relatively quickly to jump or stay put because we're going to Holland at the beginning of May to visit the Keukenhof Gardens. I'd want some time to get acclimated to a new body and wait out a potential back-order.

What would you do?

Carolina Photo Guy

So. . . my long suffering wife of nearly a year is aware of my "research" into the D800. I'm nearing a tipping point but two things are stopping me: the rumored upcoming price drop of the D700 and the anticipated D300 replacement. And as much as it would be awesome to have 36.3MP, as an amateur, do I need it? (Keeping chanting Maslow's hierarchy in your head, Ed.)

I'm very happy with my glass but of course that would have to change if I went to FX. Out would be the Nikkor 17-55mm, Nikkor 18-200, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G and Sigma 10-20mm.

If I went to a D700 or D800, I'd immediately have a Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, Nikkor 35mm f/2.0D, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D, Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G Micro, and a Nikkor 70-300mm /f4.5-5.6G. I'd probably sell the 70-300 and add a Nikkor 28-300 f/3.5-5.6G. This would be an awesome kit but missing an ultrawide (which I use a lot).

I need to make a decision relatively quickly to jump or stay put because we're going to Holland at the beginning of May to visit the Keukenhof Gardens. I'd want some time to get acclimated to a new body and wait out a potential back-order.

What would you do?

My motto is...

Sanity is far too overrated! :confused:

Only one man ever got out of life alive and you ain't likely to be number two, so make the most of the only life that you will ever have here on earth.

Hope this helps.

bluenoser

Banned
I was in the same boat as you Ed and I recently decided to just bite the bullet and go FX with the D700. As you can see from my gear list, I have many of the same DX lenses as yourself and still have my D7000 and D40. My next decision will be to keep my DX kit or to sell it (that decision may be made for me as FX lenses are expensive! LOL!) Having the 1.5x that a crop sensor camera gives you would be great to have in addition to FX so I'm going to try and keep both.

Of course no one NEEDS any of the stuff we're talking about but there's no a whole lot wrong with getting things that help bring you joy. I went through something similiar to Pete last year and shortly after that I bought the 70-200 2.8 because life really is too short.

So, I say go for the FX dream Ed....D700 or D800 I can't help you with - I don't want a 36MP camera and the D700 is just amazing so I'm very pleased with things as they stand. Good luck with your decision.

PS. As you have a poll - I voted for the D700 choice. :)

fotojack

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep the D300 and keep doing what you're doing. You don't NEED an FX camera....you WANT one. Big difference.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I always get a bad case of NAS every time I rent a lens from Borrowlenses. But I also learned to wait and really decide on what I really want . . . key word is WANT. You already have fantastic equipment. Since your trip is so close, if it were me, I would wait until I got back to get one. I would take a tried and true workhorse that will operate faithfully with your favorite lenses for a big trip like this. They'll still be available when you get back and you won't be making a decision under "duress".

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I always get a bad case of NAS every time I rent a lens from Borrowlenses. But I also learned to wait and really decide on what I really want . . . key word is WANT. You already have fantastic equipment. Since your trip is so close, if it were me, I would wait until I got back to get one. I would take a tried and true workhorse that will operate faithfully with your favorite lenses for a big trip like this. They'll still be available when you get back and you won't be making a decision under "duress".

Really good advice. . . what also has me considering the change is low-light shooting in Bruges. This will be my fourth time there and though I've made a few "keeper" images, I think - make that know - I can do better. It is a magical place at night. Oh the "duress"! LOL

The last time Laurie and I were there together, I had my D70s. This is one of my favorite pictures of her - even though I can find so many technical faults with it. Shot with a Nikkor 50mm/1.8D:

original.jpg

Last edited:

fotojack

Absolutely sage advice from Helene that you would be wise to follow. If I had a D300, I'd never get another camera. I wish they still made them. I think it's crap that they discontinued that model. That's like General Motors making just Cadillacs and not making any more Chevy Impalas. We can't all afford the more expensive models, and I would be so bold as to suggest that not everyone WANTS the higher end models. Get better lenses, Eduard! You already have an excellent camera.

bluenoser

Banned
This is how I imagine it: you've got the "need" angel on one shoulder whispering to stay put for now and the "want" devil on the other pushing you to FX....who will win out??

6012893501_a6b3fa90d7_o.jpg

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
The irony here is palatable.

Think about it.

You are asking a sanity question from a group that would make Jack Nickelson proud of Nurse Ratchett! :confused: :)

How true Pete! I think this image captures the overall character of the "sane" group of advisers we have here (image taken from a different movie of course :))

pc027 heres johnny.jpg

(this is how I looked when I was deciding to get the D700) :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
This is one of my favorite pictures of her - even though I can find so many technical faults with it. Shot with a Nikkor 50mm/1.8D:

I think it's a beautiful shot. The WB is a little "warm" . . . usually caused by low light situations but workable in post processing Do you use any of the Nik software? Color Efex Pro has excellent filters that can really help with photo enhancement, etc. --well worth the investment in my opinion.
Also, Dfine by Nik software is wonderful for managing noise.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
How true Pete! I think this image captures the overall character of the "sane" group of advisers we have here (image taken from a different movie of course :))

pc027 heres johnny.jpg

(this is how I looked when I was deciding to get the D700) :)

Though I wasn't even born when the movie first came out, I think of this place more in line with the movie Arsenic and Old Lace!

Annex%u002520-%20Grant%2C%20Cary%20%28Arsenic%20and%20Old%20Lace%29_06.jpg

Attachments

• Annex%u0025252520-%252520Grant%25252C%252520Cary%252520%252528Arsenic%252520and%252520Old%252520.jpg
    Annex%u0025252520-%252520Grant%25252C%252520Cary%252520%252528Arsenic%252520and%252520Old%252520.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 98

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I think it's a beautiful shot. The WB is a little "warm" . . . usually caused by low light situations but workable in post processing Do you use any of the Nik software? Color Efex Pro has excellent filters that can really help with photo enhancement, etc. --well worth the investment in my opinion.
Also, Dfine by Nik software is wonderful for managing noise.

I've played around with it a couple times but never felt that I've done it justice. I'm waiting for LR4 and then I'm going to start fresh. The lighting was tough because there were outdoor lights behind her and candlelight at the table. Luckily I shot it in RAW and can keep going back to it.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Ed if you have the economic clout I would sell everything and buy the D700 and 2 FX zooms ASAP...

<GULP> Not really. I figure if I sold the D300 and the assorted DX lenses, I'd need to chip in a bit. Doable but anything more takes away from our trip to Holland and Belgium.

Rick M

I've been debating the same question. I've decided to wait and see what the next new DX body is before deciding. If I had lots of extra cash I'd go with the D800. I have learned not to spend beyond my means on something I "want". My vote is to save and wait.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I've been debating the same question. I've decided to wait and see what the next new DX body is before deciding. If I had lots of extra cash I'd go with the D800. I have learned not to spend beyond my means on something I "want". My vote is to save and wait.

Your comment is exactly why I started the thread - I figured I wasn't the only one considering a move.