A handful of ice cubes, please

JulianK

Not too shabby. Things I noticed that would be cool are; The Black Label logo could have benefited from some catch. The "B" is shining then the rest drops out a bit. The first glass would be lovely with a bit more contrast, the last glass would be classic if it was clean, glass product shots are stunning but they really need high attention to detail. I'd like to see some more!

Will V|Photography

Not too shabby. Things I noticed that would be cool are; The Black Label logo could have benefited from some catch. The "B" is shining then the rest drops out a bit. The first glass would be lovely with a bit more contrast, the last glass would be classic if it was clean, glass product shots are stunning but they really need high attention to detail. I'd like to see some more!

Thanks for the compliment and thoughts! I didn't think about the label, that is a very good observation. The first glass was kind of blown-out and has contrast up as much as possible, I might try it again with a different lighting setup. The second glass is so filthy lol. I tried cleaning it as much as possible but with the harsh strobe it pulled every fingerprint out. I'm going to try cleaning a glass with some window cleaner and pouring a glass of apple juice on ice. Scotch is too expensive to taint with Windex :p Thanks again!

bgatty68

Excuse me if this is an ignorant question but as im new ( to this site and DSLR photograhy in general) is there any way when you guys that are far more experienced are able to give us beginners the settings on your camera for pictures like this and roughly the distance from the subject. The only reason i ask is that to me who has just started out, I have no idea if the settings i put in my D3100 that give me a good picture is more luck because then i shoot another picture and it comes out blurred, so the settings of aperature/shutter speed/ iso etc etc would be great for a newbie and maybe have a help in understanding the reasons for peoples settings. Is this overstepping the mark

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Excuse me if this is an ignorant question but as im new ( to this site and DSLR photograhy in general) is there any way when you guys that are far more experienced are able to give us beginners the settings on your camera for pictures like this and roughly the distance from the subject. The only reason i ask is that to me who has just started out, I have no idea if the settings i put in my D3100 that give me a good picture is more luck because then i shoot another picture and it comes out blurred, so the settings of aperature/shutter speed/ iso etc etc would be great for a newbie and maybe have a help in understanding the reasons for peoples settings. Is this overstepping the mark

Part of your question mentions experience. One thing that is true of all experiences is that they have to be lived by the one experiencing them. Photography is like any field you want to learn. Other people can't do the learning for you. There are no secrets but practice, readings and more practice. I could give you different settings, f-stops (apertures), shutter speeds, isos as much as you'd want and you would not learn from it.

The best place to start is to read your owner's manual for the particular camera you have. They usually include hints for beginners that you'll learn and remember. Then you'll have to practice. Other people can't do the practice for you. Part of the fun is the learning experience and to see how your photos will get better as you progress. Just be realistic and don't expect professional results as your first couple of shots.

I hope I didn't sound too harsh, but there is something called "reality check".

Enjoy your Nikon!

bgatty68

Hi Marcel,
Not to harsh at all, I do agree with you about having to learn this myself, as it was my choice to take it up, I just wanted my pictures to be perfect first time round but then i suppose there would be no fun or frustration in my learning curve. I think im just struggling with the relationship between aperture/shutter speed/ISO etc, and the fact that sometimes when I am taking a picture with my 18-55mm lense on and the subject doesnt come into focus and this frustrates me as i have kept the settings the same and only pressed shoot??

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Marcel,
Not to harsh at all, I do agree with you about having to learn this myself, as it was my choice to take it up, I just wanted my pictures to be perfect first time round but then i suppose there would be no fun or frustration in my learning curve. I think im just struggling with the relationship between aperture/shutter speed/ISO etc, and the fact that sometimes when I am taking a picture with my 18-55mm lense on and the subject doesnt come into focus and this frustrates me as i have kept the settings the same and only pressed shoot??

One mistake that beginners often do is that they don't wait for the focus to be acquired by the lens before they completely depress the shutter. Make sure you depress the shutter half-way for the subject to come in focus in the viewfinder BEFORE you completely depress it. It might improve your in-focus shots considerably.

Hope this helps.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Now this is what I want to achieve Marcel i saw it in one of your folders

dsc 2976

Use your 55-200 at 200 and the biggest aperture (smaller number).

I've been involved seriously into photography since 1968 so I guess I'd have to say I do have some experience.

If you look at a famous painter's work and would like to do that kind of work, even if you buy the same brushes he uses doesn't mean you will achieve the same results before your 1,000 painting. :)

bgatty68

If you look at a famous painter's work and would like to do that kind of work, even if you buy the same brushes he uses doesn't mean you will achieve the same results before your 1,000 painting. :)

Thanks for that Marcel and looking at it in that way makes me realise that only practise will do.
I will have a go at a picture like that and see how it goes