"ERR" Message on top LCD while shooting, How do I fix??

Nikonite1222

Hi Everybody-First, I hope many folks can see this and help me out.

So here's my problem.

I have a D200 with a grip and I was out shooting today as my girls were horseback riding and as I was shooting (about 140 photos in) my camera starts giving me an "ERR" message on the top lcd screen, some of the time it would not fire, when it does, the mirror stays up and then I press the shutter and sometimes it would come back down and sometimes not, and I would have to turn off the camera and turn it back on and press the shutter and then the mirror comes back down, I even changed lenses,but I could not get past that message. I have the most recent firmware also, 2.1 on both A and B. Also, only about 30,000 clicks on body, that I can tell cause I bought it used in 2010 and was told it had

Can anybody tell me what is happening and if there is anything I can do myself to get past this problem????

PLEASE let me know if you need further information to better diagnose this, I'll be happy to provide it.

Thanks so much for your time on this and thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Sincerely- Douglas

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there Douglas.

From what I recall about this type of situation I believe it is a battery problem (i.e. one of your batteries - either in the grip or the body - is wonky). Take off your grip and try each battery in the body and see if the camera performs properly. Make sure you clean the contacts of the battery terminals, etc to ensure a good connection.

Always good to check the lens mount connections as well and wipe them clean just in case.

Give that a good and report back.

fotojack

James is right, it's a battery problem. But no need to take off the grip. Just recharge your batteries and you're good to go. Trust me...I learned about this the hard way! :)
See what charge your batteries are at in the Menu and you'll know which one to charge. I'm betting it's the left hand side one. :)

Nikonite1222

Hi Guys- Thanks for the advise. Some one told me also it could be my memory card going bad. Does that sound familiar. I'm hearing more battery issues than a memory card??? He said I should throw them out. There SanDisk Ultra II 15MB/Sec. 2GB size, so it's not a junk name. Not sure if that's right.

Thanks guys,,I knew I could come here and get great advice !!!

Sincerely- Douglas

Last edited by a moderator:

bluenoser

Banned
Some one told me also it could be my memory card going bad. Does that sound familiar. I'm hearing more battery issues than a memory card??? He said I should throw them out. There SanDisk Ultra II 15MB/Sec. 2GB size, so it's not a junk name. Not sure if thats right.

The memory card is a legitimate possibility after checking the battery situation. Perhaps you could also clean the contacts on the card and also reformat the card. The Sandisk Ultra II card is an excellent card - I've used many of them without issue.

Looking forward to hearing back from you - with hopefully good news! :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
This reminded me when I had a similar problem with my D80. I couldn't figure out the problem before but I knew it was an electrical problem. I cleaned the electrical contacts, tried different lenses, memory cards but it ended up with my generic battery. Once I replaced it, it work perfectly fine.

I hope you'll get to isolate the culprit soon.

Snap Happy

I had this problem with my D3, after checking everything... I had to send it back to have the shutter replaced. I am glad it was under warranty! It is all fine now. I get this error message with my D2h Now... but it is a lot older and has taken over 300,000 photos (I got it second hand) But it only happens once in a while, then the camera is find for another 100 or so shots.

philcampus

I also had the D200 shutter stick. I found out in my case that when I roughed up the contacts in the grip the sticking shutter went away, so far so good.