Will this work?

airman85b

I can get this from a friend in the states for free. But we dont know if it will work on my D3100. The lens is Nikon NIKKOR 24mm f/2.8 AIS Manual Focus Lens. Can anyone tell me if this will work on my D3100! Thanks![h=1][/h]

Eye-level

Banned
Yes it will...the 24/2.8 AIS is also one of the sharpest and closest focusing Nikkors ever made including the new lenses...that lens in excellent condition is probably worth at least a couple of hundred bucks...

In fact any and every Nikon lens made since 1959 with the exception of the invasive fisheyes will work on your camera...that is what makes the D3000 and 5000, 3100 and 5100, and D40 and the such so cool...they will mount all NIkkors not just AI and newer...

Last edited:

airman85b

Thank you for the help. I checked Nikon's website and it said it would. Just wanted to check with a real person. It's got some wear I guess, it is pretty old but the glass is perfect. I hopes it's good with landscape!!! Thanks again!

Eye-level

Banned
I've had my digital camera for just over a week now and so far am using exclusively manual lenses. I have learned how to nail the focus everytime by using the digital rangefinder for things farther away and the magnifier for stuff close up. As far as aperture goes I was metering with my handheld meter but I quickly learned that I can use the sunny 16 rule to get me close then adjust from there. Although no where near as fast as AF I can get the shot pretty darn fast now and this is just with one week of practice. One of the great things about the 24 is you will be able to zone focus it when stopped down so you'll basically eliminate the focusing aspect of your snaps with that lens...newbshooter and me and a couple of others do some shooting with MF...I really enjoy my MF lenses because they force me to concentrate more about what is going on...

Eye-level

Banned
Technically speaking they are "old" lenses but guess what? You can still buy them brand new...Nikon still makes both the 24 and 28 2.8! What does that tell you about them? :)