"S" mode issues

photoholic

Hello to everyone… I am new member, and really thankful that I found this site. Hopefully I can learn a little something from each of you.

I have a problem with my D7000 when in "S" mode. When I take images my playback screen is black. I am currently attempting to shoot stop action fruits with a macro lens being dropped into water. My settings are ISO 200, Shutter speed 1/500, @ F-8. Even when I switch to "M" mode, same thing. I do okay in "A" and "P" modes.

I've even tried adjusting exposure up a couple of stops… doesn't seem to help. Wondering is it the camera… or me?

Can anyone tell me what might be my problem.

Thanks in advance

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
When you use A mode, what is your shutter speed? What iso? I suspect that you are just using a shutter speed too fast in "S" mode which is shutter priority.

photoholic

When I'm in A mode, I let the camera set the shutter speed, and I try to keep my ISO set at 100-200. There has been occasions when inside with poorly lighting, I'll increase it to 800-1000, I try to use the exposure compensation rather than increasing ISO.

bluenoser

Banned
I have a problem......I am currently attempting to shoot stop action fruits with a macro lens being dropped into water. Can anyone tell me what might be my problem.

Well here is your first problem - you shouldn't drop your macro lens into water! ;)

Wondering is it the camera… or me?

Dropping a macro lens into water? Definitely you!

Seriously, the project you are trying to accomplish you need a flash, tripod, etc. Here is a link (with a video demo) that explains some of the basics of this type of shooting:How To Photograph Water Droplets Using Off-Camera Flash

photoholic

Thanks for the link. I shoot on a tripod the majority of the time. When in S mode and getting the black screen, I've even bumped up the ISO, and exposure compensation 4 stops same results… jet black screen.

I'll read the article… I'm sure it's something I'm doing incorrectly. Thanks again for the input… much appreciated.

DW_

I suspect you have the "image review" turned to "off" somehow. Take a look at what settings you have for the mode you're using. Also, can can revert them all to factory settings, if needed.