How do I keep HDR on?

JCCNY

Hi everybody, I just picked up a D5100 and am a total newb at photography. I figured out how to work HDR, but I have to turn it back on after each pic if I'd like to take more photos in HDR mode. How can I set the camera to stay on HDR? I've searched with no luck. Thanks for the help!

Rick M

If you like HDR, I suggest you use auto bracketing for 3 shots and merge with HDR software, you'll get better results. HDR in the D5100 is really marketing and was not implemented as well as it should have been.

JCCNY

If you like HDR, I suggest you use auto bracketing for 3 shots and merge with HDR software, you'll get better results. HDR in the D5100 is really marketing and was not implemented as well as it should have been.
Thanks, since I'm such an amateur can you please advise how to use auto bracketing and recommend a software?

Rick M

The annoying thing is you want at least 3 shots merged (pretty much a known standard) yet nikon half baked it with 2.

Rick M

Have your manual ready!-Press the "i" button and go to the bottom right to highlight "BKT" select it and set for 2ae, scroll to last and hit ok. While you are there set the shooting mode to continuous. When you shoot hold the shutter button down, it will take 3 shots rapidly. You now have 3 bracketed shots. There are many HDR programs on the net, I use photomatix Light ($39). You can download a trial version to experiment.

Blurrymess

The annoying thing is you want at least 3 shots merged (pretty much a known standard) yet nikon half baked it with 2.

Yeah, I'm guessing Nikon is saving the 3 shot version for the D5200? They have to update something without giving too much away. All said, I'm very happy with the D5100, but there are a couple of silly things like the HDR, and the lack of an ISO button. But I have the function button set to ISO, so all's good.