D7000 1/2 EV steps option

crisscross

I noticed this while thinking about using Bracketing & gave it a whirl today. Anyone else tried it an/or have any views what ads/disads it might have over normal 1/3 EV steps?

I think I like the idea; after my 1st 2.5 months use, I find the dynamic range of the camera is a totally different phenomenon from previous D80. I generally shoot Manual so as to have no or just a trace of highlights in the playback. It tucks an awful lot of info into the dark bits easily recoverable using D-Lighting (in Capture NX2).

I don't like automation eg the auto ISO and feel that user settings need re-setting for each outing, and shooting mostly landscape where exposure range between sky and land and into sun and away from it is so high, its nice to change things manually but fast.

DW_

I've used both the 1/3 and the 1/2 but got better results with the 1/3 most of the time. There were occasions when I had a very large dynamic range that the 1/2 high was reasonable but more often that not it was too blown out. The 1/2 low wasn't as bad, making me think the camera tends to be on the + side of neutral when set at 0.