Camera straps

DW_

I've had the same camera strap for well over 20 yrs and looking at it today I realized it's on its last leg and that I should buy one now before anything catastrophic occurs. But when I typed in camera strap there came up hundreds of types and models, etc. I suppose I'm dating myself because when I bought this strap new there was very few to choose from but now I'm lost in a sea of straps with things on them that may or may not work well. So I'm wondering what straps people here on the board are using and if they love them or wish they had purchased something different.
Thanks in advance!
Dave

EttVenter

I use a Black Rapid RS-7. They're expensive straps, but they're amazing. They go over your one shoulder, allowing the camera to hang at your hip, like this:

black-rapid.jpg

They're FAR too expensive for a freaking camera strap, but the functionality you get out of it justifies it to some extent.

AxeMan - Rick S.

+1 On the Black Rapid. I use the Black Rapid Sport (First photo)

Yes they are expensive, but you get what you pay for. I would stay away from third party straps like it and only use the Black Rapid Brand just for peace of mind.

Works just like the video's shows. Currently been wearing one over my "Carhart" during the winter, as the weather warms up and I lose my jacket, I can only expect it to continue to work flawlessly.

fotojack

I have the RS-4, and I wouldn't get anything else. This strap is amazing, because it works. It looks like the first one in Ettventer's post. This is a strap you will never have to worry about wearing out! :) Where I live, it was close to $70 Cdn. It may differ in your area.

http://www.blackrapid.com/

Mike150

I don't have one yet, but if I get one, I'll take the second one.... Oh wait. You're talking about the strap, and not the person... Nevermind.

bluenoser

Banned
I own a D7000 and I use a combination of a sling strap (BR RS-7) and a hand strap (Nikon AH-4). I dislike traditional neck straps as all I end up doing is bunching up the strap in my hand when I'm shooting and I don't like the camera hanging/swinging from my neck.

I don't use the RS-7 all the time when I go out (especially when just doing some casual, not out too long, shooting). I can't emphasize how I LOVE my AH-4 hand strap. Yes it's stupidly expensive (and you can get less expensive hand straps) but it's SOOOO comfortable and takes the pressure off your fingers from gripping the camera.

DW_

Excellent feed-back, thank you all for chiming in. I like what I've read about the UpStraps but from a purely aesthetics POV I like the old needle-point straps that look like 60's guitar straps. But maybe it's time to move into the 21st century, eh? ;)

DW_

I use a Black Rapid RS-7. They're expensive straps, but they're amazing. They go over your one shoulder, allowing the camera to hang at your hip, like this:

black-rapid.jpg

They're FAR too expensive for a freaking camera strap, but the functionality you get out of it justifies it to some extent.

So with the Black Rapid, can you connect anywhere other than the tripod hole? I typically travel with my tripod when I'm out photographing and have the Manfotto 625 RC0 rapid connect on the camera. Is there any way to work around the rapid connect with a Black Rapid or no?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Yes there is a better or faster way to secure your camera using the Blackrapid strap if you are using an arca-swiss type camera or L plate. This allows you to provide an added security should the main attachment fails and allows the use of a tripod using the quick release clamp. See below.

Black Rapid + Arca Solution | Enthusiast Photographer

You probably need to buy a conversion kit for your manfrotto tripod to convert it to an arca-swiss type mount. I'm not sure if this answers your question though.

http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16&zenid=k3uh3ki5u9cop7fv75dchpjg50

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
If you are looking for a more traditional type of camera strap there is only one in my books - Artist & Artisan

I am getting ready to produce some A&A knock offs if it will ever slow down at work...

Eye-level

Banned
It would be like their cloth strap or maybe the wrist strap. I suppose I could make leather straps too. I made a quick mock up by hand about a month ago...I need to make the leather a little bit different...and of course do them with my machine so they are a bit more "industrial" grade. I just realized I am going to have to change the design for my D5000 as it has a wholly different type of strap lug than the F2. When I get some of them made your welcome to have one. I can make that A&A strap (probably the same damn thing without the label) for about $3 !!!

111.JPG

Rick M

Wow, Thats great! I would definitely be interested in the wrist strap and would insist on compensating you! Custome/hand made is better than mass produced and has more value to me!

Ok, sorry for hijacking the thread!

Eye-level

Banned
OK...well let me get some of them made and maybe we could do some kind of deal where if you donate $10 to the website you get a strap...gives everyone the opportunity to get in on the action and we help pay our way...someone has to pay for all of this... :)

Rick M

OK...well let me get some of them made and maybe we could do some kind of deal where if you donate $10 to the website you get a strap...gives everyone the opportunity to get in on the action and we help pay our way...someone has to pay for all of this... :)

Ok, may as well help jdeg on his 2nd million :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have the RS-4, and I wouldn't get anything else. This strap is amazing, because it works. It looks like the first one in Ettventer's post. This is a strap you will never have to worry about wearing out! :) Where I live, it was close to $70 Cdn. It may differ in your area.
BlackRapid.com >> Creators of the R-Strap, the original camera sling.

Comfort wise and ease of use might be it's strengths. However, I don't think that the RS is designed for cameras with an external battery grip mounted with a heavy f2.8 zoom lens and flash. That 1/4" thread could easily give and break your expensive set. It may be ok for kit or DX lenses.

AxeMan - Rick S.

I don't know of a "walkaround" to use the Black Rapid and a tripod mount. This is the only disadvantage to the Black Rapid. Right now I unscrew the Black Rapid mount on and off as I need to use my tripod. At home I'm fine with this, but when out and about it can be a pain switching back and forth.

Glenn, I have used my Black Rapid with a third party grip and a 70-200mm 2.8 and have walked around with it at my side. It rides well with out my hand on it, but most of the time I have my hand on it. It does make me nervous and I find my self resting the lens across my left arm to carry it. In the unlikely event if I were to drop the camera, the black rapid would stop it from falling to the ground. It all depends on how much "one" would want to push their luck, with me more than likely I'm going to carry my 70-200mm 2.8 more than I'm going to let it hang by my side on the Black Rapid. I only have had the lens a few weeks and I'm still experimenting on how I want to hand the lens while on the camera, it is a hand full.

DW_

Great idea, put me on the list!

DW_

Btw, it looks like Black Rapid only makes adapters for RC2 equipped camera bodies, so at this point I'm thinking UpStrap is the way to go. It certainly has received some great reviews.