wot's it all about then????

Iman60

wot's it all about??????????
I have being doing a lot of thinking about my fascination with art, and how we all, as different people with different perspectives, relate to art.
Over the last few years I have spent a lot of time trying to understand why, I am never satisfied with my photography.
Is it because I am super critical? Is it because I obsessively examine and attempt to interpret what everyone else thinks, or does????
Well I know, without having to think about it at all, that we are ALL guilty of all of these little quirks in our personalities.
But one of the most exciting opportunities I have been afforded in just the last few weeks, is the opportunity to produce, and manage a small art gallery in the local cafe that I frequent
The owner, someone I could definately consider more than just an aquaintance, is a smart businesswoman who is always looking for ways to bring us together as a community,
And this project is a fine example!
Managing this project allows me to use years of experience to encourage artists of different genres and media, to have the exposure and opportunity they richly deserve.
At the same time, pressure on myself, pressure that I apply in merciless citique and reminder of my own disatisfaction, is pushed aside so that I can fill my life with a positive experience.
This is why, even tho I do understand that it is human nature to challenge ourselves and each other, it is also human nature, particularly MY nature, to have little or no faith at all in the concept of being challenged will result in a positive experience for me.
It is very simple to assume that a challenge is not a challenge, but a competition for the best.
What is so difficult for so many of us, and I know this is true, is to understand that a challenge is put out their for us to search for the best interpretation of a subject.
Rather than understand we are to attempt the best interpretation, we often assume that we have to use a combination of our indigenous vision, and science in a process that out perorms everyone else.
So that means the same thing... or does it???
No ... not really. I means that rather than focus on making our effort the best in accordance with our knowledge, we as humans, spend more time debating the negative nuances of our competition in an attempt to elliminate our competition, as opposed to offering congratulatory salutations, in order that we move ourselves into a primary position.
My point here, as it relates to myself, is that I have spent a great deal of time, agressively and negatively pusuing what I do not seem to be able to achieve, rather than focusing on what is indigenous to my experience and personal vision.
In other words, I have been in a competition with myself, with the prize as something I dont seem to be able to master, and as it appears, I never will.
So... I have changed competitions. I have changed and moved to an arena where I win with minimal effort and expenditure of negative and unproductive energy.
I have moved onto a stage where I am in the position to encourge and support others in their personal growth, so that I dont have time to fall back into my obsession with unatainable goals.
Naturally I am aware that there are people out there who admire my work, who are supportive of my knowledge and experience.
But I am an all or nothing personality. So what was previously an obsession to excel, in an arena that appeared never possible to be blessed with reward that is satisfying to me, has now become a casual curiousity.
In simple terms, I have come to my senses. NOTHING I attempt to achieve with my camera will satisfy me. At the end of the day I am the one who has to look in the mirror and like what I see.
So... as it may no doubt appear to many, I can say with conviction, that helping others with their goals is far more satisfying than constantly pursuing a goal which is an impossibility.
Life is meant to be a sucession of experiences to build on, not an endless, and unproductive journey in an eternal storm.

bluenoser

Banned
Ummmm.....I don't think I follow. Perhaps I'm too drunk but are you saying you're not going to take pictures anymore because you too much of a perfectionist? :rolleyes:

If so, now that you're giving up on photography I'll be happy to take your camera equipment off your hands. :)

Just kidding. Relax Iman! You think WAY too much! It's just a picture. Photography is meant to be fun! :p

You need to hook up with my cousin out in Florida! :)

Jeff I almost wet myself when I read this. Cripes that was a funny comment!

Browncoat

The narcissist is rarely satisfied. If one views art as a means of self-fulfillment, it's full potential and enjoyment will never be realized. Only when you can learn to view art as a gift to others can you be truly satisfied with your work.

Iman60

@ Jeff - I dont like Florida, so your cousin will have to find me :)
@bluenoser - I am not giving up on photography, just radically changing my goals and expectations.
@Anthony - I am not sure I follow you, sometimes you can be even more ambigious than I am.
I create art primarily to understand the reasoning of my vision which is not immediately apparent. So I suppose that would be a form of self fulfillment, in that I have little faith that most of what I produce will be well received, while the remainder, and most obviously the one goal I cant seem to ever obtain always appears to be far from what I expect.
So if I understand you correctly... you undertsand that by supporting others and helping them develop their skills, I may eventually be finally satisfied with anything I create, tho most likely such satisfaction will be on my deathbed.
I guess I should just whip myself and get it over with :)