Best affordable zoom for D3100

puzo

i have purchased a D3100 in september 2011.i would like to purchase
an affordable but good zoom lens for my camera.any suggestions please ?

Rick M

It really depends on what range you are looking for and your definition of affordable. The most common choices in Nikon are the 55-300vr, as low as $250-$300 sometimes, or the 70-300vr at about $550 (I have this one, great lens).

I also had the Nikon 55-200vr, which is very inexpensive, but you will eventually want one of the above.

Whatever you choose stick with one that has VR, even if you go to a third party lens. There are allot of cheap non-VR lenses, but you will need to use a tripod most of the time.

Welcome to the site :)

Last edited:

TwistedxKnights

it really depends on what kind of photography you want to use it for. if your gonna do events or just want a nice walk around lens i would suggest a 18-200mm lens

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Tamron or Sigma 17-50 2.8 comes to mind. Not too expensive but sharp and luminous.

Rick M

It really depends on what range you are looking for and your definition of affordable. The most common choices in Nikon are the 55-300vr, as low as $250-$300 sometimes, or the 70-300vr at about $550 (I have this one, great lens).

I also had the Nikon 55-200vr, which is very inexpensive, but you will eventually want one of the above.

Whatever you choose stick with one that has VR, even if you go to a third party lens. There are allot of cheap non-VR lenses, but you will need to use a tripod most of the time.

Welcome to the site :)

I assumed you where looking for something to compliment the 18-55 kit lens?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Sometimes people confuse zoom with telephoto lens and when they say zoom, they mean telephoto zoom. Not sure the original poster was clear enough. My initial thoughts were that he was looking for a better quality zoom for low light...

Again, I've been proved wrong. It'll be a great day.

puzo

thank you so much for your helpful response.will keep in mind the suggestions
when i actually get down to buying one.