New to Nikon, recommended flash for D5100?

JIR004

Good afternoon everyone,

I am new Nikon cameras, I have used film SLR cameras for a while like Pentax ZX-50 and then later on a Canon AE-1 program. I started borrowing my friends Canon t2i and I loved it! But then I was talked into a D5100 (my first DSLR), which I am inlove with! I am a beginner photographer and I've always loved to be a bit more artistic with my photography since I am also into graphic design. I currently have the kit lens, and my 50mm lens is on it's way (for portraits mainly) However, I was wondering which flash do you all recommend for in doors/studio photography (I have made my own home made back drop) I was considering a ring flash, but I have never used one.
I am open to buying an on camera flash, slave, ring, or even maybe some umbrellas.
I am a college student so go easy on the prices lol I don't have much on my pockets :)

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Also any recommendation on lenses will be great!

Eye-level

Banned
Hello welcome to Nikonites. The D5100 is a great camera you will find many folks here who use the D5100. Don't much about flash but I have a SB400 coming soon so I guess I am fixing to learn. Just about any Nikon lens is a good one. I would look at KEH I've bought a few lenses and a few cameras from them and they do a first rate job from beginning to end.

fotojack

Welcome to the forums, JIR. The Nikon flash I would recommend is the SB-700. It's idiot proof. :) Look for a previously enjoyed one on Craigslist or eBay, or even in your local paper. They can be had for less than $400.

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there. I own the SB400 and SB700 and I really love them both. They are very different flash units however. The SB400 is a super-compact flash that can do vertical bounce (however cannot rotate and do side bounce). It is vastly superior to the built in pop up flash but it's big advantage is it's size. The SB700 is an incredibly versatile flash that is big (but not huge) and easy to use. In my opinion it would be far better suited to the studio work you mentioned.

If you're on a tight budget, I believe you could pick up a used SB600 (replaced by the SB700) for about $200 - it's excellent and also would be better for studio than the SB400. I believe Jack used to own the SB600 prior to buying the SB700 so he would know more about it than I.

Mike150

Welcome to the forums, JIR. The Nikon flash I would recommend is the SB-700. It's idiot proof. :) Look for a previously enjoyed one on Craigslist or eBay, or even in your local paper. They can be had for less than $400.

I like what you say Jack. The SB-700 is on my Add List for some time now. Unfortunately, the money hasn't been there. As far as being "Idiot Proof"??? I'll believe that when this idiot trys it.

AxeMan - Rick S.

If you can swing it go for the SB700. Everyone is right very easy to use. I have one. Yes Mike so easy a caveman could use it.

If your really that tight then go with the SB400. Never used one but when I was deciding which one to get read many good things about it, but I held out for the SB700, glad I did.

fotojack

Yeah, the SB-600 is very confusing to use. Not user friendly at all. Besides, Nikon doesn't make it anymore, having been replaced by the SB-700. I sold my 600 as soon as I saw the 700. Great choice for studio work, too. Do a Google on it and read all about it. You'll be glad you got it, believe me.

Patrick M

SB400
My first flash and 3 years later I still find its a great little tool that I can carry everywhere.

Patrick
_______
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JIR004

Thank you so much for all of your help guys! I think I will save up and get the SB700! Sounds like a better choice :)

Thank you for your time everyone :)

-Jessica

bluenoser

Banned
Well you could use the SU-800 which will provide the commander mode necessary to fire the SB700 remotely. I believe the D5100 doesn't have a built-in commander mode unlike some other Nikon bodies like the D7000.