focusing screen

Mike150

I'd be curious too. I'm wondering if it would help an old codger like me who's eye-sight is has been gradually failing over the past few years. I need anything I can get that might help

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've read great reports of them on other forum but I'm just a little scared to replace mine (7000 and 700). I'm tempted to get the 50 1.4G instead of the focusing screens. I still manage with the manual lenses I have, but I get quite too many OOF shots for my taste. But, I'm not working for money so it's not that bad.

Pierro

I used a Katz Eye split screen on some previous equipment, and I didnt get on with it. They start to black out slightly the more you stop down. At first signs of black out, you have to re-position your eye in the VF, but even tiny movements of your head position means you see bits of black out. Eventually, at about f8 ( generally speaking ) the black out becomes total in the central focusing portion.

I sold mine on. They're not cheap either, especially for the UK as they're a US company and we get completely ripped off by the UK Customs and Theft dept.

For manual focusing aid, live view would be much cheaper if you already have it, as its free, or use a VF magnifier.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I have almost mastered a combination VF magnifier and electronic rangefinder technique...all of your Nikons have electronic rangefinders and magnifying buttons...use them... :)
The F2 has about 19 screens...only about a half a dozen are worth a crap to me at least...don't fall into that $100 trap...go buy a 50 1.8 from KEH instead and learn to use what you have...they engineered the hell out of these cameras folks...

Last edited: