Easy Manual Focus Technique

Eye-level

Banned
I was reading the users manual for the D5000 tonight and came across a great technique for manual focus lenses. Basically all you do is frame your shot then hit the button with the magnifying glass on it whichs magnifies the image in live view. Then you can focus the shot easily. I've tried it twice and both times I got great results.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes Jeff, this works fine as long as either you're on a tripod or you use liveview. But for people and street pictures, I can see myself going through this before every pic. But it is the only way to properly focus and be darn sure that it's OK before the shot. Thanks for the reminder.

Eye-level

Banned
The D5000 has an elecronic rangefinder!!!!! No more split screens for me!!! All you do is look through the viewfinder at the subject with the rangefinder on...press the shutter release halfway, turn the focus ring until...WALLAH a little green dot lights up and it is in focus!!!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The D5000 has an elecronic rangefinder!!!!! No more split screens for me!!! All you do is look through the viewfinder at the subject with the rangefinder on...press the shutter release halfway, turn the focus ring until...WALLAH a little green dot lights up and it is in focus!!!

Yes, I know about this and rely on it too. But I do find it distracting since I have to keep an eye out of the shot at the same time as at the subject and the cropping.

fotojack

Why do people say WALLAH? Is that the way it sounds? hehehe It's VOILA...from the French voir "to see" + la "there". Just thought y'all would like to know. :)