My D800 is on Preorder

bobmielke

I took the plunge yesterday and got my D800 on order with Camera World in Portland, OR. I figure since the price is the same everywhere I might as well support my local camera shop. When I pre-ordered my D7000 I cancelled it. The following weekend I stumbled upon one in a tiny Ritz camera shop locally. I asked almost jokingly if they had one and they asked "which one". They had one body & one kit. I was a blur whipping out my credit card as I left with my friend. I was grinning from ear to ear.

I do have a Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D that is designed for FX cameras. I also ordered a Nikkor 28-300mm F/3.5-5.6 VRII which I'm sure will get here long before the body. Because I own a D7000 I have 3 batteries so that I'll have two identical spares for my two bodies. My other DX lenses, a Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 and a Nikkor 85mm F/2.8 Micro will still come in handy for specialty work. I know from experience that the new Nikkor 28-300mm will get used the most on the D800 body. I may need to get a custom L-Plate from Really Right Stuff for the D800. I have one for the D7000 and the tripod mount that could do double duty.

I know it's likely to be the end of March or early April before my new workhorse arrives. I still have good gear that will become a backup and keep me from getting to anxious. :)

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
Congrats on that great purchase! A D7000 and a D800! I'd say you've got DX and FX covered very well! :) Looking forward to your comments on the D800.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

Mark E

I think you will really like the 28x300. I have one on my D700, and seldom take it off. One of my favorite lenses. Congrats on the D800, Looks like one fantastic camera body.

For the D7000, you might like the 18x200.. A great all purpose lens.

Last edited:

bobmielke

I think you will really like the 28x300. I have one on my D700, and seldom take it off. One of my favorite lenses. Congrats on the D800, Looks like one fantastic camera body.

For the D7000, you might like the 18x200.. A great all purpose lens.

Because my favorite lens for my DX D7000 is my 18-200 that translates perfectly to the 28-300 for an FX format.

DW_

I'm right there with you, I ordered my 800E from Crutchfield. After dealing with the issues of the D7k, I felt it was best to go with a dealer who offers a full 60 day money back guarantee, no questions asked. I've yet to explain to the wife yet why, after buying the D7k only a handful of weeks ago, I am back buying a camera that is close to thrice as expensive. For some reason the letter F in front of X vs. D doesn't hold the same punch for her as it does me. Fortunately, I have until some time in April to come up with a good answer (or is "excuse" a better term to use?).

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Congrats Bob. I personally prefer the Nikon 24-120mm f4 VRII but that is just me. I use a generic L bracket that will fit any camera and it uses a 1/2" thick plate. Sounds like a fun but expensive year for us.

bobmielke

Congrats Bob. I personally prefer the Nikon 24-120mm f4 VRII but that is just me. I use a generic L bracket that will fit any camera and it uses a 1/2" thick plate. Sounds like a fun but expensive year for us.

I honestly know nothing about your 24-120mm but for my needs with photographing animals at the zoo I need much more focal length. I use my 18-200mm with my DX D7000 and find I'm nearly at the 200mm focal length.

Dr Daniels

Forgive me for asking something that could be seen as arrogance, but why spend so much money on such a high-spec body, and yet invest in inferior optics?
Why not sell the D7000 and all DX lenses to invest in something like a 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8?

Last edited by a moderator:

bobmielke

Forgive me for asking something that could be seen as arrogance, but why spend so much money on such a high-spec body, and yet invest in inferior optics?
Why not sell the D7000 and all DX lenses to invest in something like a 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8?

I've been down this path before when going from a D90 to my D7000. The lenses I have are high quality fast glass. I would lose a lot of money selling them to buy FX lenses. Specialty lenses such as my 85mm F/3.5 VRII Micro and my Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 can be used on the D7000 body as well as the D800. I also use an 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 VRII DX on my D7000. Buying an 70-200mm F/2.8 is not only expensive but redundant. I'd rather extend the focal length to 28-300mm F/3.5-5.6 VRII with the 36.3 Mpixel D800 and crop if necessary. That would effectively give me a much longer focal length for no extra money spent. The 28-300mm is $1029, 24-70mm is $1900, and the 70-200mm F/2.8 is $2400. The lens I chose is the bargain of the group that allows me to keep my D7000 and excellent glass without hocking everything for one general purpose lens and a new body.

Last edited by a moderator:

DW_

As a lens snob I fully agree with your premise and feel you have a valid point. I see people often mismatching body to glass. Why a person would stick a Sigma-anything on a D3x I'll never know. And the opposite is very true, too. Just spend a few minutes reading the reviews on a few pro-level lenses on Amazon and you're hear stories of people with a D5100 putting on a 24mm F/1.4G and complaining how it's not as "sharp" as their kit lens.
However, high quality lenses will not make any difference if you're not printing larger than 4" x 6" or your images live primarily on the internet. Also keep in mind we're all on a learning journey and not everyone takes the same path to satisfy that creative itch. And if the bug calls for a chest-thumping D800, then so be it. For people like myself (and possibly you), this approach would not work and we'd be constantly "seeing" issues in our images that may or may not actually be there.

bobmielke

I will let my images speak for themselves. Ii've taken some with my D40x, some with a D90 and the latest batch with my new D7000. The cameras are tools wielded by years of experience. I upgrade camera bodies to meet specific needs. The Fx lenses will come with time. I still have a 50mm F/1.4D that is an FX lens. I have read the reviews on the 28-300mm and will welcome it to my collection.

bobmielke

You might be interested to know that my attempt to find a 28-300mm failed so I added over $600 to the amount for that lens and ordered the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED instead. It's a little short on focal length and does not have VR but it is a quality lens. - Bob

Dr Daniels

You might be interested to know that my attempt to find a 28-300mm failed so I added over $600 to the amount for that lens and ordered the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED instead. It's a little short on focal length and does not have VR but it is a quality lens. - Bob

You did very well, it is an amazing lens. As for me I placed a deposit for the D800, which I hope will be available on 22 March. :)