Nikon F6

BooBoos

Anyone out there have a Nikon F6. I am doing some research and am finding that thi is a great camera. Even better then the newer nikon digitals. I would really like to purchase one but with my luck they would stop making film.Does anyone shoot landscapes with the F6?

Eye-level

Banned
I don't have a F6 but I do have a mean nasty F2 that will do the exact same thing albeit fully manual...

The F6 is the ultimate film camera ever made. They cost a couple hundred less than a D700! If you have a lot of money film is a viable option. Film won't go away it will just keep getting more expensive.

LensWork

Half the price? Really? lol

Really; I did an eBay completed listing search before replying earlier and there were two recent sales, both between $1000 -$1100 including shipping.

Used D700s are going for $1800-$2200, so a used F6 is about 1/2 the cost of a used D700.

Last edited:

BooBoos

Has Nikon ever lowered the price for a new F6.With the majority of pros and non pros shooting digital I would of figured the F6 would of came down a few dollars. Guess I was wrong.

Eye-level

Banned
What is interesting is that this is the year if you go by past history that Nikon is due to release the new F7 instead we are seeing the 1 system and a D4 and D800 and no news of a new F. Nikon was really the last holdout making new film cameras (at least the last of the major manufacturers...others are Leica and Zeiss Ikon) You think digital cameras are expensive just check out some of the prices on new film cameras...they are very high.

They say the F6 is the cat's meow but other film users will argue all day long that the F5, F4, and F100 are just as good for a lot cheaper. Personally, and I am a fairly serious film guy, I think film is finally vanquished and rapidly becoming a expensive niche market.

I know I may ruffle some feathers here but I am betting the mirror is about to go by the wayside in the next ten years. The DSLR of the future will be slightly smaller because it will no longer have the mirror box, many will be live view only no viewfinder, and they'll all be full frame sensors...basically a DSLR/rangefinder version of a micro four thirds camera...or maybe a better description is a full frame P&S...

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
<snip>
I know I may ruffle some feathers here but I am betting the mirror is about to go by the wayside in the next ten years. The DSLR of the future will be slightly smaller because it will no longer have the mirror box, many will be live view only no viewfinder, and they'll all be full frame sensors...basically a DSLR/rangefinder version of a micro four thirds camera...or maybe a better description is a full frame P&S...

I'm holding my Hasselblad 500 CM in hope that eventually… wonder if I'll still be alive by then…a reasonably priced digital back will be offered for these. For me, this would be the ultimate quality. In the meantime there is always the dream of getting a D 800. But I have to say my needs are pretty well covered with the D 90, 7000 and 700 that I have. I haven't printed a single large print for ages.

Eye-level

Banned
Bessa, Leica, Zeiss Ikon to name a few there are maybe a couple more. The three I mentioned are making rangefinder cameras not SLRs. As far as I know the F6 is one of the few if not the only SLR made today. Your next question is the fascinating one. Film is absolutely huge in Japan and Asia and it is the Japanese and the Chinese who are wholesale buying up all the top flight equipment still left in the world. That and the advent of micro four thirds has made legacy lens prices and odds and ends like the eyelevel viewfinder on my F2 for example go through the roof. You could buy a basically mint F2 with the eyelevel finder for about 600 bucks a couple of years ago. Lately I've seen them on Ebay commanding $1200 or more...makes me want to sell mine. I almost bought a mint F2AS last year for $500...they are running $1500 or more now for pristine examples...crazy huh? A Canon FD 55/1.2 Aspherical (one of the coolest Canon lenses ever IMO) could be had for $500 a couple years ago...they are approaching $1500 now...why? Because the Japanese are buying every copy they can get their hands on because they made it and they still shoot a lot of film...

BooBoos

Do the japanese or chinese know something we dont about film?I would guess they alos would be big into digital. My fear is purchasing a F6 and then juji would announce no more film. I am not a pro but my photos are better with film then digital.

Eye-level

Banned
Oh yeah they are into digital for sure...

Film is gonna be around for a long long time yet particulary 35mm. Many many movie and tv companies are still using 35mm although they too are converting just not quite as fast as the general public has with cameras. That fact alone probably guarentees at least 10 more years of film production. However as to price of a roll of film and processing costs I'm afraid the price is gonna climb very fast and probably sooner than later (slide film - the best - has already smooth went through the roof eg. 30 bucks per roll finished product no prints). One of the major problems I have with film is processing - 1) it's getting harder and harder to find places that process film in one hour even Wal Mart is sending film to Fuji in Texas for processing which takes a week. 2.) When you do find a one hour photo place the scans just suck...we're talking like 1024X680 scans...terrible The solution to that is your own scanner but good ones can be quite pricey.

The jury is still out with me. I just now like literally yesterday bought a DSLR but I can already tell it is likely gonna supplant my F2. I've been shooting a bunch of car lot pictures today (getting paid for it too!) and it is just working WAY better than it would if I were using my F2. With that being said, with a good roll of pro film, and a good legacy type of lens, I think it would take the new D800 or the new D4 to be able to match the F2 photo quality wise. But even then the digital cameras have a huge advantage because you can take endless snaps and even process them in camera where with the F2 I have to fumble around with exposure and focus and I only have 36 shots at the prize (note the F6 would do better than the F2).

I am going to go out on a limb here but I bet you money your pictures would be just as good if not better if you had a good pro level digital rig maybe even a semi pro level unit.

I think I said this before but a lot of people I know bought the F5 instead of the F6 because it does dang near the same things the F6 does for a whole lot cheaper.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
One problem often overlooked with film processing is the use and disposal of chemicals. 25 years ago, this wasn't a problem. But environment laws grew tougher and now there is no more leeway. It's probably getting very expensive just to get rid of the chemical remnants from film processing. So, I don't think we'll see film making a huge comeback… But I have few rolls in the freezer and might as well shoot them before no one is there to process them.

BooBoos

Better hold onto that limb.Dont wantcha to fall off. I do have some pro level equiptment a D-300 which most of the photos are ok. But I seem to get more blurrey photos then I am certainly comfortable with. My 80-400 lens went back to nikon a short time ago for focus issues. I also purchased a D-700 last summer and its still in the box.Have not used it yet. Spring is coming so I know I will egt out on the weekends. As for processing I am a few minutes from a cmaera store with a processing lab.

Eye-level

Banned
Marcel it is not only the development process but also the film manufacturing process itself...but digital has its problems environmentally wise also namely lithium batteries and all the chips and what not that go into them...

BB do you shoot strictly zooms or primes or a mixture of both? The D300 is quite a machine I have used one before and was very impressed. The D700 is supposedly a masterpiece I would love to get my hands on one of those...I can't believe you have one in the box unused! By like I said the jury is sort of still out for my case but I ain't gonna throw out the D5000 no matter the case...if I have some good film I can make some pretty darn good pics with the F2...one thing I have noticed today while shooting the cars is the crop factor big time but it really doesn't affect the picture per se I just had to stand a mile away with the 50mm lens...that is really not a big issue though...

I think if I were you I try working that D700 a little bit and then decide about the F6. I am not trying to perseude you though because I love film like you do and if I had the money I'd probably by a F5 or F6 too.

Last edited:

BooBoos

I do my zoo photos with the D-300 and my thought I would be to use the D700 for my landscapes. I do a lot of trips to vermont and newport RI in the warm temps. I will certainly use the D-700 this season I also purchased the battery pack at the same time. I know what your thinking the d-300 uses the same pack and that is correct. I was experiencing a electricail issue last year and I did not want to use the d-300 pack on the D-700 because I did not know where the problem was. I with fully charged batteries in camera and pack would get a battery incicator light that said empty. I know the batteries are full so I turn the camera off and on again and it would clear. I am not sure if its the pack or the contacts where the lens meets the camera body loosened up or another issue. It does not happen all the time but on occassion so I thought better to keep the packs seperate.I diod have a focus issue with the 80-400 and have not been out to test if nikon fixed it or not. I also made them aware of the electricial issue.

Eye-level

Banned
What sort of lens kit are you working with?

Back on the subject of the F6 and film in Japan I encourage you to check out tokyocamerastyle. The creator of tokyocamerastyle has become somewhat famous by taking pictures of peoples cameras film and digital mostly film though. His website is pretty cool. Check out this F6 with 105 AF...I have heard the F6 described before as a D3 that shoots film... :)

tokyo camera style - Yotsuya  Nikon F6 with a wicked 105mm AF lens...