Challenge Update

ohkphoto

Snow White
I'm not posting a challenge this week because
1. I now have 2 challenges to judge and post the winners, and need the time to catch up.
2. I need to take some time to re-organize this so that you all get results and winners are posted in a more timely manner.

Next challenge will be posted on February 22nd. Enjoy your break. Thank you all for your wonderful submissions and hanging in there.

I seem to have a lot of irons in the fire lately.

Kim20

I suggest, a nice glass of wine, some music, and a few deep breaths. :) I hope you get caught up on everything, and enjoy some "Helene Time" as well.

bluenoser

Banned
Conducting (and judging) a weekly challenge all by yourself is a very demanding undertaking. By all means Helene, it sounds like a perfectily reasonable thing to do to catch up and perhaps refresh yourself a bit. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

hotrocks

Well it's quite a bit past the 22nd and still nothing. I tried to create a time shortened weekly challenge to make up for it, but I don't have the forum rights to do so.

I guess everyone is too busy.

I've been researching the tilt shift technique, and I've seen a lot of spectacular results. It would make for an interesting challenge. I have no idea how to do it technically, but I've found loads of tutorials. That being said, a cool challenge would be to make everyone learn something new and then apply it as a challenge.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Just to let you know, I have not forgotten the challenge. I have been giving this a lot of thought over the past few days and believe this site and its members have evolved enough to make the challenges a little more formalized, competitive and meaningful, and still fun. Here are some of the changes that are coming:

1. Wednesday to me is an odd day to start or end anything. I know some of use have gotten confused (namely me LOL) about the day of the week, so I'm moving the challenge from Sunday to Sunday. I think this will be better for those who have weekday jobs. So the first challenge will be up this Sunday, March 4th -- so each Sunday will be the ending of one challenge and the beginning of another.

2. Judging will be based on percentage of named criteria and 1-5 rating system (1 = poor, and 5 = excellent). So, for example, if the photo is to be judged, 75% creativity and 25% technique, then scoring a "perfect" 5 on creativity and a "lousy" 1 on technique will net you a score of 4.

3. Judging panel will be composed of 3 members selected by me and remain anonymous, and it may not be the same ones for each challenge. Number of "likes" will also affect the score. I'm thinking 20% of your final score will be the "likes".

4. The winning photo will be posted on the site as "Photo of the Week" and scores will be posted in a blog on this site 3-5 days after the challenge ends.

The reason for the judging changes is to make this a more meaningful experience photography wise. I've tried to make this as objective as possible, since we can't post photos anonymously. By making it a little more "complex" mathematically, and by using the "likes", it will be harder for any one person to select a winner or adjust the scores to make sure their favorite person wins (not that anyone of us ever did that before!!) In any case, it makes this a little more professional.

Hopefully you all remember enough of your high school math to understand the scoring. If not let me know.