18-55 on a D700

simonhodge

I know some of you guys might choke when you read this but has anyone tried the 18-55 kit lens on a D700 body? I can hear some of you now asking why the #@#* i would ever want to do that, but there is method in my madness. I am about to buy a D700 and want a 24-70 F2.8 for it. I was planning on the Sigma version but then noticed last week that Tamron have announced a stabilized version which is exactly what i want. I know obviously noone has got to test it yet and it might not be that good but i would rather wait and see. So rather than buy a decent lens just to keep me going until the Tamron in available i though about buying the 18-55 as they are only about £100 new and from what i can read actually rather good, that way keeping my money for the Tamron once its available or the Sigma if the Tamron turns out to be not that good.

What you all think?

Simon

bluenoser

Banned
Hi Simon. Maddness indeed! :)

I don't think buying a DX lens for an FX camera is a wise decision. Even though I know the D700 can be shot in DX mode, etc. I still wouldn't go that way.

Why not get an economically priced (but still excellent) FX prime lens - perhaps consider buying used, one of the older generation models. At least this way you can still use it when your desired lens choice becomes available.

simonhodge

hi bluenoser,

I guess that might be an idea. I will be buying a 50mm F1.4 with the camera but need something wider. Would you or someone else have any good recommendations?

Mark E

The D700 will automatically sense that a DX lens is on the camera. It will work just like a DX camera body. Go for it. ME

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If it was me, I'd pass the 18-55. I know it's good for DX, but for FX you can find better for less.

Give the 28-80 G 3.3-4.5 a trial. I got mine for 50$ and it's worth a lot more. This was the standard zoom that sold with mid line Nikon film cameras. At least it covers fx. Look around for second hand. And sometimes you can grab a film body for the same price. The second lens I got for the D700 was a Tamron 28-200 for 100$ on ebay. It's not a 70-200 2.8, but it's very light to carry.

And, as much as I wanted the 24-70, I got the 24-120 f4 with VR. It's quite a sharp lens and it's way better than the 24-70 between 70 and 120 ;)

LensWork

If I were looking for an inexpensive wide-angle zoom for a D700 I would find a used AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. This discontinued lens can be found for under $300 USD.

simonhodge

Thanks guys. Marcel, its funny cause after the post from bluenoser i went searching the web and came across the 28-80mm. From what i have read its rather good and can be had quite cheaply so i think that will probably be the one as thats the sort of money i want to spend and save the rest for the 24-70 F2.8. I want the wide apperature for the DOF and because a lot of what i will be shooting will be indoors. Still have to get the camera yet though :)