D700 availablity

simonhodge

I have been in this forum and still havent managed to buy my new camera but am rather close to it now. I have decided on a D700 as it best meets my needs. I was in my local Calumet store a few days ago and the guy said they only have 5 D700s left in stock and then thats it. Basically the what he ended up saying was that if i dont buy raather soon i may not be able to get a new D700 as the D800 is replacing it. Now from what i can see the 2 cameras are actually very different beasts and i dont really see the D800 as a replacement just a different model altogether. I am not in the position to buy the new camera yet and probably wont be until the end of March so i started panicing a bit over the weekend and ended up contacting Nikon Uk to ask them about it and this is what i got in reply just today:

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to learn of the difficulties experienced in obtaining the D700 and for any subsequent inconvenience this causes you. Unfortunately we currently have supply shortages and as the sales channel may be complicated we are unable to give you directly an accurate estimate of availability date. However I would like to confirm that the D700 is still being produced and remains in distribution alongside D800 and D800E.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again in case of any questions.

Kind regards,

Aleksander Nowak
Nikon Europe Support

I know this wont interest most members here but i thought i would share it encase there are some out there like me who dont want a D800.

Simon

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
my guess is your local store has 5 left in stock and doesn't plan to order any more because they wouldn't make anything on them with the D800 being out. I'm sure you'll still be able to order a D700 when you are ready, you just may have to get one elsewhere (online).