D7000 Serial Number Experiment

bluenoser

Banned

Yeah...like me! (I posted in that thread over a year ago :)).

Like your experience John, I don't believe a pattern was ever established. I actually pre-ordered my D7000 within hours of being able to do so and I was told by the camera retailer that I had one of the first copies sold in Toronto - purchased in October of 2010. My serial number starts as follows: 5000xxx

Eye-level

Banned
Anyone have the history of the photography industry in Thailand? I bet it is low cost labor with sloppy quality control apparently - a young industry...

OK it goes back to at least the D40...the first report of problems in any given camera that I can find is a power issue with the D5000...I wonder if the D7000 is just a bit complicated for the average Thai worker...interesting a prosumer camera made in the third world...they're trying to make high dollar shit cheaper and cheaper...

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
The D7000 is definitely made in Thailand. When things were flooded there, production halted. Now things are being rebuilt so production can resume. From what I've read they're just about done rebuilding.

Mark E

I have not been to the plant in Thailand, but have seen pictures, and it is as modern a plant as you will find. Don't agree with the sloppy quality control statement. Can't tell the difference in the items I own made in Thailand and the items made in Japan.

Jessabelle

32096XX

I had back focus issues, sent the camera in for repair, and am still having trouble, but less so. I am going to try fine tuning the lenses to see if that solves my problem.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
The only pattern I see is that the serial numbers start with different numbers depending on the country:

2 - Japan
3 - USA
4 - Europe (excluding UK)
5 - Canada
6 - ??
7 - Asia (excluding Japan)
8 - UK / Australia

I'm pretty sure this goes for all newer Nikon DSLR's though

bluenoser

Banned
I think that the average Thai worker is just as capable of producing as fine a product as any other Nikon factory personnel throughout the world.

+1 - I've never bought into made in Japan is better than made in XXXXX country. Frankly it wasn't that long ago that "made in japan" was a big negative! Times change. I'm sure Nikon, Canon, etc. have very strict protocols and procedures to follow when making their equipment and that their products are made to exacting standards wherever they are made.

Eye-level

Banned
I'm sorry guys but with a bunch of D7000s not calibrated right yet released to the general public quality control must be at fault...the only place you'll see that in Japan is Toyota! lol