Nikkor 50mm f1.8d vs f1.8g is there really a difference?

jayradio

Locally I can get the Nikon 50mm 1.8d for $149 CDN and the 1.8g for $249 CDN...is there really that big of a difference between the two lenses to warrant the extra $100 expenditure?

I've read so many reviews that conflict, some say yes, a lot say no...so confused...oh, and it's for on a D7000.

Help?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Locally I can get the Nikon 50mm 1.8d for $149 CDN and the 1.8g for $249 CDN...is there really that big of a difference between the two lenses to warrant the extra $100 expenditure?

I've read so many reviews that conflict, some say yes, a lot say no...so confused...oh, and it's for on a D7000.

Help?

I have the 1.8 D and am wondering the same thing as you. Should I get the G or the 1.4 G or status quo… Whenever in doubt, I don't buy.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Thom Hogan did a very nice review of the 50/1.4G where he compared it to the 50/1.4D and 50/1.8D. You might find it useful. The article is available here.

bluenoser

Banned
Eduard..you beat me too it. I was just reading that article last night and was about to post it again.

I'm in the same boat - I'm thinking the 50 1.8G is the way to go overall between the 3. It's no slam dunk no matter which once you choose (and just to complicate matters, don't forget about the very well regarded Sigma 50 1.4. :))

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I had the 50/1.8D and loved it. (I took my website banner panorama in Prague with it.) I had an opportunity to get a 50/1.4D and jumped on it. It is a great lens. Unless I fell into another deal for the 50/1.4G, I'm happy where I am.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I checked out your website Eduard that is pretty cool. Sure do hope I get to travel someday.

Thanks! I always hear my grandfather telling me that, "You can always find a way to pay for travel while you're working and have your health, so do it while you can." My wife and I make the time and set aside a little every payday so we can go. I think he'd be happy with the results of his advice.

markD90

i have the 35mm 1.8g and it doesnt have an aperture ring on the lens , but i beleive the d does!! it might be the same on the 50 mm as well!

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
i have the 35mm 1.8g and it doesn't have an aperture ring on the lens , but I believe the d does!! It might be the same on the 50 mm as well!

You are correct.

585343.jpg 97413.jpg

LensWork

If you have a D3000, 3100, 5000, 5100, D40, 60, etc. then you need the AF-S version(s) for auto-focus.

If however you have a D90, 7000, 300, 300s, 100, 200, D1, 2, 3, D700, etc. then either version will work.

If you want to be able to use the lens on most older film bodies the you need the non-"G" type.

Bukitimah

The AFD 50 mm f1.8 is a fantastic lens for 2 simple reasons. 1st it is fast and sharp otherwise no point having it. 2nd it is inexpensive. A preowned lens can cost USD 80 here in Singapore! Wow, just imagine what the lens can do for that money.

Unless you are into very detailing work, I don't think the G would be able to show up anywhere. Of course if your camera does not have the built in motor, you may have to consider AFS version.

jayradio

I'm still torn, so many conflicting articles...is there any real benefit to me getting the "g" over the "d" when I'm working with a D7000?

Claudia!

I have been doing my research on each lens and still cannot seem to decide which one to purchase. I have the d7000. The 1.8D is almost 9 years old. Does this really make a difference? The 1.8G was just released mid 2011. My price limit was 150 on a 50mm lens. I was also considering the 35 mm 1.8. Should I stick with one of the 50mm? If so, which one would ya'll recommend. This is such a hard choice. The 1.8D has the the aperture ring while the 1.8G, does not. Should I consider this as a major factor in my choice?

Bukitimah

I would go for the AFD if you are already using the D7000. I don't think the G makes that a difference.

However, the D7000 is a crop camera, thus your 50 mm is actually 80 mm. In a confine room space, you may not get everything in the frame. Whilst for portrait that is at a distance, not enough zoom power if you are not able to walk that few steps towards what you are shooting.

At $100 odd, it is worth every $ to try it out

Bukitimah

Yes, for a crop camera, you need to multiply 1.5 to your lens. For Nikon, FX camera starts at D700.

I am using the afd 50 f1.8 on my D300. I also have a Tamron 17-50 f2.8. To me there is a difference between the Tamrom zoom in at 50 against the AFD 50. But f2.8 seem acceptable as compared to a kit lens which normally starts at f3.5

So back to your question. I think the AFD 50 mm f1.8 would be a good buy at that kind of price range. Should you need to cover the wide angle, then consider the Tokina 11-16 mm f2.8 later.

You would have a fairly good combination.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
So either way no matter which 50 mm I go with, it'll still be 80mm because of my camera?

The lens will always be a 50 whatever the camera. What changes with the crop factor of DX crop cameras is the angle of view. To put it rather bluntly, if you had let's say side by side a crop camera with a 50 mm lens and a full frame camera FX, in order to frame the two shot similarly (get exactly the same in the picture), you would have to use a 75 mm on the full frame. Does this make you understand the principle a little better?

Eye-level

Banned
The key word in Marcel's explanation is -in order to frame the two shots similarly - if you use a 75mm on a FX it will be framed the same but the picture will be different I promise you! So think of a crop camera in these terms...mount a 50 on a DX mount a 50 on a FX...in order to get the EXACT same picture FRAMED the exact same way...you will have to stand a little further back away from the subject with the DX camera than you would with the FX camera...(note - the DOF changes!)

Bukitimah

The lens will always be a 50 whatever the camera. What changes with the crop factor of DX crop cameras is the angle of view. To put it rather bluntly, if you had let's say side by side a crop camera with a 50 mm lens and a full frame camera FX, in order to frame the two shot similarly (get exactly the same in the picture), you would have to use a 75 mm on the full frame. Does this make you understand the principle a little better?

Yeah, that is a more professional answer.