70-200 2.8 arriving tomorrow

Geoffc

I pulled the trigger and ordered this last night. It's a good condition v1 vr unit. This is to go on my 300s. I hope it lives up to my expectations!! Slowly but surely I'm removing things to blame my bad pictures on. Soon it will only be my fault !!

Geoffc

I've been using the lens today. I need to practice with it to get consistently good shots. I know it is sharp on a tripod so my hand holding is most likely the cause of any issues.

Geoffc

I'm sending this lens back tomorrow. It was bought used (light use) but I'm afraid it's not right. Amongst other things it keeps taking blank pics which I think is due to poor CPU connections as the lens is not as snug as I would like on the camera. The exif reports no lens data for the blanks.

My good wife tells me I should just buy a new one. I'm sure that photography being her hobby also has not influenced that support :)

On the plus side I can continue to blame my gear for poor photos for a little longer.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've been using the lens today. I need to practice with it to get consistently good shots. I know it is sharp on a tripod so my hand holding is most likely the cause of any issues.

Use a faster shutter speed and/or flash. You'll probably get more keepers above 1/100.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm sending this lens back tomorrow. It was bought used (light use) but I'm afraid it's not right. Amongst other things it keeps taking blank pics which I think is due to poor CPU connections as the lens is not as snug as I would like on the camera. The exif reports no lens data for the blanks.

My good wife tells me I should just buy a new one. I'm sure that photography being her hobby also has not influenced that support :)

On the plus side I can continue to blame my gear for poor photos for a little longer.

Sorry to hear about that. If your gut feeling tells you to return it, then do so and notify the seller.

The VRII is much sharper anyway.

Geoffc

The faulty lens has now gone back. I decided to buy a 70-300vr like my wife's and ordered one for collection in the shop. When I got to the shop they had a new 70-200 2.8 vr II on display.

I debated for quite some time (i was pathetic to watch) and then took some handhelds in the shop in lowish light. I now own a new 70-200 :)

I tried it at home last night including with a kenko 1.4 TC. So far I'm very impressed even at 1/60 handheld. I think the VRII must be a big benefit.

Normally I'm shooting at much faster shutter speeds, so I should be good to go now.

Geoffc

Here are some pictures with the new lens, some of which I used the Kenko 1.4 TC on. I was reasonablty impressed with the TC, but time will tell.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Here are some pictures with the new lens, some of which I used the Kenko 1.4 TC on. I was reasonablty impressed with the TC, but time will tell.

Congrats on your new lens. Smart decision. I have the Kenko 1.4 TC also. You shot your images wide open at f4. Try at f5.6 or f7.1 as you zoom out. It is not the best TC but it is a budget TC. The Nikon 2x TCIII might be worth looking into if you often shoot wildlife. With the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, the images were really sharp. Nice colours and contrast too.

simonhodge

Thats one very well trained squirrel you have. He clearly loves posing for photos :)

Just my opinion, but if i was going to spend that much money on a lens i would be very sure that any TC i put near it was the best i could buy otherwise you would be better of with a cheaper lens.

I'm just jealous really!

Enjoy the lens. Some lovely photos.

Geoffc

Thanks for the nice comments. I will ultimatley buy a Nikon TC and in the short term will only use the TC when I really need to.

Dr Daniels

I love that VR2, but the focus breathing at 200mm in close distance is a bit of a let down even if I don't really need a true 200mm with a subject at 5ft.

Geoffc

I read about it before buying the lens, but I don't think it will be a problem for what I want it for. I guess we should have bought an expensive lens if we wanted perfection :)