First Impressions

bobmielke

I'm brand new here so I'm not about to spout off about changes. What I have noticed is the system of Likes/Dislikes in Notifications. Facebook invented this rating affair. I would rather know what folks liked or disliked. I've been trying to look at poster's galleries, websites and posted photographs to get a feeling of their level of experience. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate comments but to check off a like or dislike isn't much on an investment or a help to the original poster.

fotojack

Sometimes you just like something because it appeals to you, the viewer, for no particular reason at all...it just appeals to you. Some reasons can't always be explained, for the simple reason that everyone sees the same photograph in a different way. If I had to explain why I like a particular picture all the time, I'd be on here for hours....if not days! :)

I totally understand your concern, though...don't get me wrong. If someone is looking for a critique, there is a critique forum available for that here.

This isn't what you would call a "technical" type web site, although we do answer questions members might pose to us from time to time. It's mostly a fun and open discussion place where we have a lot of fun with what we do and how we do it. :)

Believe me, Bob, when I say.....if I see what I believe to be an outstanding photo posted anywhere in here, I'd make my comments known in detail. :)

I hope this explains the "Like" feature and how it's mostly used in here. :)

bobmielke

Thank you Jack for your honest response. A like is indeed better than no response at all. At least you know someone is looking. Critique is an artform of its own. Not everyone can give a critique that helps the poster change his/her methods or techniques. As far as my overall impression of the site I am still here. As you might have noticed I do comment on posts and help where I have experience. I'm in this hobby as a lifelong avocation so my opinions are pretty well set.

Rick M

I find that time is often an issue for me. Lately I've been working about 60 hours a week and get called in for emergencies. With that in mind, I will "like" something, but simply do not have time to comment. I consider a "like" kinda like a quick pat on the back. When I have time I comment. Like Jack said, this is a casual site and we are not all as technical as you may find on other sites (we are also a little less snobby in my opinion :)).

Eye-level

Banned
What I have always liked about Nikonites is range of shooters you find here...everyone from the rank beginner to the rank amateur (like myself) to the almost pro long time user all of them dedicated to Nikon cameras of any kind and more importantly involved in the conversation. As far as the likes dislikes thing goes at first I thought what is this crap but then Jack started liking my posts so I started liking his and on and on and on...LOL :)

We've had a few battle royales in the critique section because everyone is a critic...hahaha

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
I find that time is often an issue for me. Lately I've been working about 60 hours a week and get called in for emergencies. With that in mind, I will "like" something, but simply do not have time to comment. I consider a "like" kinda like a quick pat on the back. When I have time I comment. ).

+1 with what Rick said. I'd rather be involved with as many threads as time permits by either "liking" a post or making a comment. Being able to just like a post allows me to expand my participation to a greater extent than if that feature didn't exist.

Now don't forget Bob that we're not all retirees just yet so time is not as plentiful as some would like :). Personally, I'm married, have 2 little ones (8 and 6), a busy full-time job, I admin. at another photography site, got a brand spanking new ICD implanted over the summer :) plus, plus, plus....). So I'm very happy to have the "like" feature to at least let someone know that I've visited and appreciated their post (I know I certainly prefer a like to nothing at all! :))

Finally, some posts really just lend themselves to a quick hit of the like button (for example when someone offers a quick opinion on an issue, etc.) where a formal reply isn't called for or would needlessly clutter up a thread.

Thanks for your views Bob!

Last edited: