Shooting Models/Fashion Photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was taught a long time ago that first you learn the craft then you learn the art. Study and learn photography first then once you know how to shoot then you learn the the rest. Looking at pictures on websites and edgy magazines will give you the look but that won't mean a thing if you don't know how to shoot it.

OnyxBunny

I've already studied Photography & still am, just don't have a DSLR camera yet bc of a lot of setbacks, but I do know enough to start studying Modeling now. Looking at magazines doesn't help me bc I want to know:What not to do & what to make sure to do when Posing etc. They didn't say any of that in the "Basic" posing tips

ohkphoto

Snow White
I agree with tracsoft. You need to have a really good grasp of lighting first (how to use your camera and equipment to get the effect you want), then post processing. Google "edgy images of models" and see if any of those are close to what you're looking for. (I just did) I'm not sure what you define as edgy, but at least those images will give you a starting place.

OnyxBunny

I'm already saving for the equipment I need, I'm only a College student therefore am almost poor. I just want to at least practice my modeling until I have what I Need, the best camera is the one you have after all. I'm not trying to make it into being on the cover of a magazine or anything that big, at least not yet

Philnz

I'm already saving for the equipment I need, I'm only a College student therefore am almost poor. I just want to at least practice my modeling until I have what I Need, the best camera is the one you have after all. I'm not trying to make it into being on the cover of a magazine or anything that big, at least not yet
Keep savings.Keep studying. Keep asking. Sure you will get there.

Eye-level

Banned
Starting in the very early 60s a photog named David Bailey almost singlehandedly came up with the protocol for modern fashion photography. Look everything about him up and search for interviews with him where he talks of technique. There is also a fictional sort of suspense thriller loosely based upon him called Blow Up...get that movie. The 85s and 105s are the lenses (full frame of course) of choice in the fashion world particulary the 85. That is a pretty good place to start. The lighting is very very crucial as stated above.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Maybe if you'd ask these questions in a "Model" forum you could get answers. We could give you advice concerning light, exposure and photography techniques but if I understood your question, you want modeling advice. You just would like to have a camera so you could help yourself to be a better model or do your own composite shots. I'm sorry, but my opinion is that you are asking your questions in the wrong forum.

fotojack

I already apologized in the beginning of this Post if it was the "Wrong Fourm" all the Modeling websites Ive tried or real models I try to get advice from are too "stuck up" to give out their "secrets" & also I'd never spend $800 on a Camera just to Model; I'm NOT just using it for that, you didn't even bother to ask me 1st. I plan to get as much use out of it as possible taking pictures of ANYTHING I find Interesting. I cant Delete this post bc it's already up now, so I guess ppl can just Ignore it if they can't help

OK...first...YOU asked about modeling technique in a Nikon camera forum. You apologized for that, assuming that the apology would absolve you of asking in the first place. That's called being presumptuous.

Second...in your profile, you list your camera as being a D5100...but you don't have a camera. That's called lieing.

Third, if you think an $800 camera isn't going to do it for you, then get yourself a point and shoot and practice your "posing" with that!

Fourth...we can't be responsible for models and modeling web sites for not giving up their secrets just because YOU want to know what those secrets are. These models started at the bottom of the barrel and learned their craft the hard way...by actually going out and finding jobs and working for those secrets! Don't expect people to hand you things on a silver platter just because YOU want it!

Most important of all...Fifth: Change your attitude, or you won't get ANY help from ANYONE! The world doesn't owe you a living. When asking for help, it's always nice to say please and thank you. Politeness goes a long way with people. It seems your college education hasn't taught you that yet.

OnyxBunny

I've suddenly been enlightened, thank you all so much for your help~ (Arguments on the Internet aren't worth my time, I can't type everything on my phone that I want to say)

OnyxBunny

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Well since random ppl keep coming to see this & harassing me, I'd like to say I APOLIGIZE for my out burst, sorry that I went into a camera website asking for Modeling advice( I thought since I couldn't get help from a model, I could get help from someone who shoots them). I just want to Move ON & try to get as much as I can from the site like everyone else, I don't want this 1 thing to "show who I am" & make everyone keep talking to me as if I'm below them.

2: I didn't know it was "lying" I thought if I was gonna have it, then I could put it on there so ppl could know what I'd be shooting w, but if that's a rule sorry I didn't know.

3: I will practis my posing in a Mirror bc I really want a DSLR not just for modeling, my 1st intention is to buy it for Photography bc I've been interested in it since I was little & a point n shoot isn't gonna do it for me, I think I diserve to pick what I want w/o being judge for what I'm using it for, it'll be mine after all

4: I put secrets like this "secrets" in Quotation Marks bc I did not literally ask them "Can you tell me all your secrets & all the information I need to do what you did" NO, I actually asked just for advice on how to do Edgy/Editorial Poses, nothing on how to "get to the top" I don't exspect ppl to hand things out to me, I'm nothing like that, you can't tell everything about me when you have not seen/met me in person. I'm in no way spoiled or whatever anyone thinks I am, I don't have anything "nice" but am greatful for what I DO have.

5: Ill apoligize again & also know my P's & Q's I learned them at an early age & don't need college to teach me that, my instructor knows how polite I am or in this case "can be". This is not my very 1st post , I know I'm new but don't judge me for this mistake & gang up on me. I don't need to be "scolded" like a child or treated like one bc I'm still young. Sorry for the outburst again & you all can think whatever you want, I'm not subscribed to this discussion anymore so guess you all can talk down on me here.

Ill watch what I say next time & thanks for the info[/FONT]

ohkphoto

Snow White
I think you've received some excellent and sincere advice, Virgo. Your apologies are appreciated and we all hope that all works out for you, that you learn some things from us, not be so quick to judge the folks here or their comments --they were meant to help you.

I believe this issue has been discussed enough so I'm closing the thread so all of us can move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.