80-200 2.8 Dual ring - focus probs ?

Pierro

I've noticed a weird problem here - with the 80-200 dual f2.8 on a D2x and using AF & MF. Both modes see the green dot Focus Confirm light up at completely the wrong point.

The focus is so obviously way out, yet the green dot lights up. This wasn't just a tad out, but way out. Can be seen in the VF even before the shot was taken. And the contrast on each photo looks completely different - no other settings were changed. They were taken only seconds apart, just long enough for me to switch from AF to MF

Converted from NEF to JPG, no processing, and 100% centre crop on both. Sign is quite big, maybe 16" top to bottom and distance was around 40ft

AF with 5 shot burst, middle shot
shown

soqidn3ysh.jpg

And switching to MF on lens, leaving in AF-S mode, green dot lights again at completely the wrong point, so ignoring the GD light, I manually focus and green dot disappears altogether, not even flicking in and out like it was just on the border of correct focus. I get correct focus according to my eye and take 3 burst shot.

MF with 3 burst shot, middle shot shown

rb74uydc6v.jpg

I'm not clever enough to know whether this is a lens or camera problem ..something is amiss. I feel my wallet draining as i type

Last edited:

Pierro

Decided to try my 50 1.8 AF-D ...its even worse, maybe due to much closer focusing ? About 1.5 metres in these shots, both 100% crops, no processing

AF

hjeotkt2nt.jpg

MF

xsnn5h7uuy.jpg

markD90

I see you're southern UK! Whereabouts, as I have the same lens and could get together and swap kit around to compare!

Last edited by a moderator:

markD90

well im off all next week...... im busy monday morning but the rest of week im free! how about you?
perhaps meet near milton ...... or didcot power station if any good for you?

markD90

if its happening with more than one lens, it seems like its your body thats at fault more than the lens! have you tried cleaning the contacts on the body mount?

Pierro

I havent cleaned the contacts no, but i have fitted a new genuine Nikon Focus screen - maybe thats got something to do with the problems, though i did recheck it was sitting ok, and it appears to be fine. But it does sounds like a body problem as you say.

As for Milton / Didcot, sounds good. There's a large Services point there at Milton Heights - maybe its a McDonalds or something.

Send us a PM Mark, we can exchange mobile numbers and meet up lunchtime - ish ?

Pierro

Well - i think I got a result. 2 x 100% crops on AF

MFD shot with 50mm, @ f1.8, auto focus

wos2acnwxr.jpg

Plus one from the 80-200 on 80mm, @ f3.2, auto focus

ar9wn7axns.jpg