First Post

bobmielke

There must always be a first post for new members so this is mine. Hello all I'm Bob and I'm an addict. I've been an addict since 1970 when I was stationed in Misawa, Japan as a member of the USAF. It was a B-52 bomber base that was being moved to another location. They left the high altitude mapping film behind, to be freely distributed to those stationed there. They handed me a 10,000 foot reel of ASA 2 B/W film along with a 5 pound can of Kodak Dektol concentrated developer. I traveled to downtown Misawa to buy my first camera, A Canon FTQL SLR. I was stationed in Japan for 6 months through the Winter Olympics in Sapporo, Japan. I shot a ton of photos and learned how to do my own darkroom work in the base hobby shop. The only cost was for paper. I loaded my own film canisters in my barrack's room locker, making it light tight with gaffers tape.

This all happened in 1970 and I've been shooting continuously ever since. I used to specialize in weddings & portraiture for the short period I shot professionally. I moved up to two Mamiya Sekkor 645s and shot medium format for years.

Now retired I spend my time photographing animals, landscapes and flowers. I still do my share of portraits as well. The main difference is that I no longer sell my work. I hated the business end of photography so I've sworn off it. Now I shoot for myself, my close friends, & my relatives. I hope to fit in here and help where I can. - Bob

Rick M

Welcome Bob! Thanks for the interesting introduction also! We have a wonderful variety of friendly folks here from beginners to Pros. Many of us emerged in the film days and have found a nice spot here to share and learn. Hope to see some of your work posted soon!, Enjoy:)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice to meet you Bob, I hope you enjoy your ride with us. I guess we are all addicted to a certain degree.

It'll be nice to see your pictures and share stories with you no doubts.

bobmielke

Hello Marcel. I see we share the same camera model. To be honest I am always leery about a photography forum dedicated to just one brand of camera. I love Nikon cameras but have also owned, Canons, Pentax, Mamiya, Minolta and Yashika cameras in my long affiliation with the hobby. I even managed to own a Yashika Mat 124. Although modern cameras offer remarkable features and capabilities I can't stress more the importance of photographic experience and basic fundamentals. I love the artform because it allows us to share our wonderful world with others. :)

Eye-level

Banned
I own about six different brands of cameras right now! hahaha

I am in it for the challenge...I just happen to be in a Nikon phase right now...fantastic gear...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Bob, I did start photography with the family camera (Kodak Brownie), then when I started studying got a Yashica mat 124 too. What a wonderful camera that was. I got really great prints from that camera. I worked mainly in studios with large format in the 70s but was also doing weddings in the summers. As far as camera brands, I've owned quite a few. Here's my camera history:
Yashica mat, Nikkormat, Leica M-3, Hasselblad, Pentax 6x7, Canon F-1, Canon Rebel, Nikon D80, 90, 7000, 700. I still have the 90,7000 and 700. And, an Hasselblad with 3 lenses, a few backs and accessories that I keep, wishing that one day there will be a 6x6 digital back on the market for it. As much as I like the Nikons, I love working with Hasselblad.
And I couldn't agree more with you about the basic fundamentals. Nothing could replace the many hours I've spent in the darkrooms. I don't miss it that much and prefer working with digital files so I can see the results right away, but I'm lucky that I know what a picture needs to be technically improved and I now have the tools to get there faster than before with analog.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Bob and welcome! Amazingly similar background for me: USAF stationed at Osan (Skivvy Nine) in '83-84 and bought my first SLR (Pentax Super Program). Wore out the lab in the rec center. Kept the hobby and wished I kept the camera too!

bobmielke

Hi Bob and welcome! Amazingly similar background for me: USAF stationed at Osan (Skivvy Nine) in '83-84 and bought my first SLR (Pentax Super Program). Wore out the lab in the rec center. Kept the hobby and wished I kept the camera too!

It is a small world. I spent 19 months on Kunsan, Korea. I married a Korean girl as my first wife. It was my second duty station as the Air Force shut down its operation in Misawa, Japan and flew my F4 squadron to Kunsan. THose were the best years of my life. THe Korean people are so hospitable and certainly hate communism, more than any American could comprehend. Goodness that was a long time ago, almost 40 years.