Moose Peterson: Just What Is Sharp?

Just-Clayton

nice tips. when he mentioned increasing the black areas i laughed, because i just started doing that by trial and error on my program. was trying differnt things one day and i noticed the picture looked a lot better.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My favorite quotes from the article both have to do with lens choices:

"Just how important is that lens quality and camera body to the sharp image? I’ve seen lots of fuzzy images from sharp lenses, but I’ve never seen a sharp image from a fuzzy lens. And for a long, long time, I’ve not seen a fuzzy lens. So when it comes to placing blame for an out-of-focus image, it’s what I like to politely call “pilot error.” With that said, personally, I spend the extra bucks and buy Nikon lenses, and generally, the fastest in a focal length."

"Now, if you feel you need to stop your lens down to capture a sharper image, in my book you should chuck that lens! And if you even need to think about that while shooting, you’ve lost all the love of photography."

Eye-level

Banned
Well I don't agree with his book in reference to the second paragraph and there is no way in hell I am going to chuck my legendary 105/2.5 just because I have to stop it down to sharpen it up to it's maximum capability...

Yeah right maybe if you have expensive top of the line stuff ("I spend extra and get the fastest in a focal length") this is true but most folks don't have the top shelf lenses.

The second sentence second paragraph is just mumbo jumbo, at least for me, because I think about such things all the time and my passion for photography is growing all the time.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well I don't agree with his book in reference to the second paragraph and there is no way in hell I am going to chuck my legendary 105/2.5 just because I have to stop it down to sharpen it up to it's maximum capability...

Yeah right maybe if you have expensive top of the line stuff ("I spend extra and get the fastest in a focal length") this is true but most folks don't have the top shelf lenses.

The second sentence second paragraph is just mumbo jumbo, at least for me, because I think about such things all the time and my passion for photography is growing all the time.

Hold on a little will you. ;)

You have to remember that the guy who wrote the article is probably earning a living with his camera and lenses. For me and probably for many amongst our group, we're amateurs and photo lovers. But if someone is going to make a living working for advertising or magazines, the best lenses are just essential. When a customer is paying between 5 and 10 K for a particular shot, he's allowed to get the best quality that is available. This is where my needs and a professional's needs differ.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
You have to remember that the guy who wrote the article is probably earning a living with his camera and lenses. For me and probably for many amongst our group, we're amateurs and photo lovers. But if someone is going to make a living working for advertising or magazines, the best lenses are just essential. When a customer is paying between 5 and 10 K for a particular shot, he's allowed to get the best quality that is available. This is where my needs and a professional's needs differ.

Exactly!