Slingbag with room for an ipad?

Rasmus

Hi all

I'm looking for a larger bag for all my gear. The lowepro passport sling has been great so far, but there's only room for 2 extra lenses at most.

So i'm looking for an upgrade; i really like the easy access of the sling bags, so i want to maintain that. I would ideally like to fit 3-5 lenses, my flash, the d3100 of course, and my ipad(in a secure'ish room) in the bag...and room for a bottle of water and such is always nice.

I looked at the lowepro 302 aw, and it seems ver nice...my main concern is that it looks very much like a camera bag, so i'll basically be telling all the pickpockets in the cities "hey, i have several 1000's worth of gear on my back here, how about distracting me, and slicing it open?" ...not ideal...also, will an ipad fit in it?

The other one i looked at is the kata 3n1 33, which is sturdier, and seems more protective...but also seems less handy.

Any ideas,thoughts or suggestions? :)

Rasmus

fotojack

Unfortunately, there isn't one bag that does it all. I would suggest you get the one that suits "most" of your needs the best. To my knowledge there isn't a sling bag that carries a laptop....maybe an I-Pad....but no lap top. I like Lowepro's because they suit MY needs and they're guaranteed for life. The Kata's are great, too....if you don't mind the price. :) Google camera bags and see what you come up with. There's lots out there.

Oh...and if you're afraid of getting robbed, you're traveling in the wrong places. :)

Rasmus

I see your point about the being robbed part; i guess you have to pay attention no matter what bag you end up buying.

I'm still deciding between kata and lowepro, the prices seem about equal on amazon(and about twice as high in stores here; not that they carry the kata's at all)

Other than simply chosing between the 2 brands, i'm also trying to figure out if i should just go ahead and buy the biggest version now, even if i don't have That many lenses, or if i should go for the medium sized bags.

Either the kata 3n1 33/lowepro 302 aw or the smaller kata 3n1 22/lowepro 202 aw.

My current setup is a d3100(so a very compact dslr), a kit 18-105mm, the 35 mm f/1.8 and a sigma 70-300 mm. Other than lenses, i'll also want my flash along most of the time. And as mentioned above, i'd love having somewhere to stick my ipad2, just for the sheer comfort of always being online for looking stuff up.

Now, i'm fairly sure my current gear will fit in the 3n1 22/202 aw setups just fine; but there won't be a lot of room for more stuff in 6 months or a year.(and i won't be popular with the missus if i insist on buying a new bag every time i buy more lenses)

The reason i'm looking at these 2 bag classes, is the ease of access of the camera, without the need for a seperate bag just for the camera. So if you can recommend some other setup, where i can bring along my current gear(and a few future upgrades) and have the easy access functionality of the slingbags, then i'm all ears :)

fotojack

Well, the easiest bags for ease of access would be the sling bags. The 302AW (All Weather) is a great bag in my opinion, and would serve you well. AS for which size...it's been my experience to always get the largest one you can afford, because you WILL acquire more lenses as time goes on. It's a question of...spend the money now (while prices are cheaper) or spend twice the money later. :) Try this site: Sling-O-Matic 30 - Sling Camera Bag
Seems to me, though, based on what you wrote, that this one, Kata 3 in 1 Sling Backpack, Large, would fit the bill, and at a reasonable price. Good luck on your choice. :)

Patrick M

I have the Lowepro sling back 200 AW
One body with a long lens, two further lenses and the sb400 flash and room for another body/lens
MacAir and iPad, cables, beer can and sandwiches....oops
Great bag

Rasmus

Well, the easiest bags for ease of access would be the sling bags. The 302AW (All Weather) is a great bag in my opinion, and would serve you well. AS for which size...it's been my experience to always get the largest one you can afford, because you WILL acquire more lenses as time goes on. It's a question of...spend the money now (while prices are cheaper) or spend twice the money later. :) Try this site: Sling-O-Matic 30 - Sling Camera Bag
Seems to me, though, based on what you wrote, that this one, Kata 3 in 1 Sling Backpack, Large, would fit the bill, and at a reasonable price. Good luck on your choice. :)

Thanks for the advice :)

I'm leaning more and more towards the 302 aw by now, but there's still the small question of fitting an ipad in it.

Just to be certain, before i give amazon my money; is there a logical place to store an ipad in the bag? Looking at videos, it almost looks as if the front compartment(the one for papers) would be large enough?

Rasmus

I have the Lowepro sling back 200 AW
One body with a long lens, two further lenses and the sb400 flash and room for another body/lens
MacAir and iPad, cables, beer can and sandwiches....oops
Great bag

You managed to find room for both a MacAir and an iPad in the 200 aw? Guess that means the 302 will have plenty of room for just an iPad eh?