Sharpness issue with D3100 photos

Sagar

I use RAW format while photographing with my D3100 and use the kit-lens and 55-200mm lens. While editing the photos in ViewNX2 or photoshop or, even while viewing jpeg photos in computer, I feel that the sharpness of the original photo is not upto the mark if I compare the photos with the one taken with good digital cameras like Sony cyber shot etc.

Please let me know if there could be any settings problem, or lens problem. And also ,please, suggest me some ways to improve the sharpness of photos.

Thanks,

EttVenter

Well there are a couple of things to consider. Both the kit lens and the 55-200 won't be as sharp as you'd ideally want. Both of those lenses are entry level lenses, so sharpness will already be somewhat hindered. Remember, zoom lenses are always less sharp than fixed lenses.

Also, if you're shooting wide open, you'll lose sharpness there too. So if you're shooting at f/3.5 with that kit lens (or at 5.6 when zoomed all the way to 55), you'll have a softer picture. Same applies to the 55-200. Shooting at whatever your widest aperture is on that lens will yield softer images. Close down a good 2 stops or so and you'll find significantly sharper pictures. Take shots at f8/f11 on both of those lenses, and you'll see much sharper results.

Also, remember that the longer your focal length, the faster your shutter speed needs to be. You can't shoot at 1/100th of a second if you're at 200mm. Well, you can, but you really shouldn't.

Just-Clayton

Well there are a couple of things to consider. Both the kit lens and the 55-200 won't be as sharp as you'd ideally want. Both of those lenses are entry level lenses, so sharpness will already be somewhat hindered. Remember, zoom lenses are always less sharp than fixed lenses.

Also, if you're shooting wide open, you'll lose sharpness there too. So if you're shooting at f/3.5 with that kit lens (or at 5.6 when zoomed all the way to 55), you'll have a softer picture. Same applies to the 55-200. Shooting at whatever your widest aperture is on that lens will yield softer images. Close down a good 2 stops or so and you'll find significantly sharper pictures. Take shots at f8/f11 on both of those lenses, and you'll see much sharper results.

Also, remember that the longer your focal length, the faster your shutter speed needs to be. You can't shoot at 1/100th of a second if you're at 200mm. Well, you can, but you really shouldn't.
Ditto!!

markD90

do you use lightroom? my images were not as sharp as my pro tog friend...... he then taught me to expose TTR! now my images are sharper! then pull it back to the left in lightroom!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It would be nice if you could post examples of pictures you find lack of sharpness.
There could be a lot of different causes: in camera settings, post processing, dull lighting conditions, camera movement, low light interfering with focus.
Your question is just too general to be answered without something to judge.

Have you read the manual? What is your previous experience with DSLR?

Keep in touch and maybe we can all help you find a solution to your problem.

EttVenter

do you use lightroom? my images were not as sharp as my pro tog friend...... he then taught me to expose TTR! now my images are sharper! then pull it back to the left in lightroom!

Exposing TTR doesn't affect sharpness, it affects exposure and dynamic range. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't expose to the right - everyone should - I'm just saying that it's not going to make your pictures any SHARPER. An increase in contrast or dynamic range due to exposing TTR might give the illusion that your photos are sharper, but they're not actually any sharper.

Sagar

_DSC0228A.jpg

_DSC0004A.jpg

For the first photo, settings : f/6.3, 1/500s, ISO 200, @55mm(55-200mm lens)
For the 2nd photo, settings : f/5.6, 1/200s, ISO 200, @55mm(55-200mm lens)

Please comment on the images.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Looking at your pictures, I was wondering if you tried to apply sharpening to them? Raw files are soft naturally. Also sometimes, lack of selective contrast can be confused with lack of sharpness. In your second photo for example, if you were to play with the curves a little in Photoshop, you could get it to look sharper.

I don't think you have a focus or movement problem in these. But, I think that you are using your lenses very close to their maximum f stop. You could try using iso a little higher and closing the lens to about between 8-11 to get maximum sharpness. But you will always have to sharpen in Photoshop. Do a google search on photoshop sharpening tutorials and it should get you the results you are looking for.

I understand your point about these not being as sharp as a point and shoot, but remember that the point and shoot always apply sharpening in the camera processing. You can always go into your camera menu and put a little more sharpening to your jpegs and have a look at what you would get. Trial and error will get you there I'm sure.

Had same problem with my first D3100. Don't try all these suggestions look for my posts about this issue. I sent mine back and it came back worse. They exchanged it after that for a new one. It works great. Don't waste time get it back to the dealer fast.

Rick M

The lenses you have should give you sharp images. These are not good shots to evaluate sharpness on, to much distance. I would find a closer object to test on. I agree with raw does tend to be softer. I noticed Active D lighting on the D3100 made images appear washed out, turn it off. I also agree with tracsoft, if you think there really is a problem and you are in the return window, bring it back, if not, it doesn't hurt to try solutions before sending it out. Sometimes it can be something simple, or a completely defective unit.

Will V|Photography

Had same problem with my first D3100. Don't try all these suggestions look for my posts about this issue. I sent mine back and it came back worse. They exchanged it after that for a new one. It works great. Don't waste time get it back to the dealer fast.

Yeah, don't listen to all these people trying to help you. Listen to this one guy who had a 1-in-a-million problem and send your perfectly good camera back.

OP, I don't really see much softness in those 2 shots. As stated, RAW files are inherently on the soft side and you should learn to properly process your shots to make them perfect. PnS cameras employ clarity, sharpness, contrast, saturation, and vibrance changes in-camera so they will naturally be "better" quality at first. This seems to be an issue with most new DSLR users. Just because you have a better camera doesn't automatically mean you'll make better photographs. It takes a little more work on your end.

Last edited:

ZekeMenuar

If the OP has tried this already, I apologize.

I'm sitting here with my D3100 in front of me.
For the record I use the 18-55mmVR, 55-200mm VR and the 55-300VR. Sharpness is not an issue with these lenses.

Go into the menu>Set Picture Control

Once there you have several options for Picture Control, Standard, Neutral, Vivid etc. I'll use "Standard" for purposes of this post.
Get into the Standard menu and you'll see several settings
Quick Adjust
"Sharpening"
Contrast and a few others.

You can manipulate sharpness in this part of the menu. Turn it up a a couple of notches and see if that helps.

You can also force the camera to use a lower ISO setting in the Auto ISO menu. Normally I set the "ISO Sensitivity" to 100 and I set the Auto ISO range from 100-400. If it's bright outside I turn the Auto ISO off. The lower the ISO the better/sharper images you'll have.

FWIW, your pictures look great to me. I might have tried a few shots with a lower shutter speed or an ND filter, but those look fine to me.

Last edited: