Teach me about filters

chowchow

61GkT1lS2pL.jpg

Credit to Paintthemoon.net

Since we are on the topic of filter.

I love the look of this picture. I am assuming this picture has been edited, but I could be wrong. If I am wrong then will a warming filter create this mood. This picture was taken from Amazon review for the Nikon 85mm 1.4g.

I asked because if the filter can do this then it will save editing time.

Also I am trying to learn more about filters, are there any good sites that you guys can recommend.

Thanks,
Rick

EttVenter

This could easily be achieved by simply warming the photo up in post. I assume you're talking about physical screw-on filters (as you mentioned trying to save time in post-processing). It's generally a terrible idea to put anything on the front of your lens. The only time you should really consider it is when you need an ND filter to cut some light out. But don't use anything to adjust colour, as that can all happen in post. It's better to have a standard picture to colour, than a completely coloured photograph that you can't colour less, you know?

The idea is to shoot RAW, so that you have the most dynamic range of information you could possibly have. You have the most colour variability, you have HUGE range in exposure, and there's nothing restricting you. Bring that photo into Photoshop/Lightroom, and you can bring out that warmth with one slider :)

Stangman98

I just started shooting with circular polarizing filters on my 35 1.8 & 50 1.8 all the time while outside and it makes a HUGE difference!!