Is D7000 a good choice?

jayradio

I am currently about to make the jump from p/s to DSLR and want to buy a good all around camera.

The price point of the D7000 is right around what I was thinking and I really like some of the features...like the dual cards, weather sealing, focus motor, low-light ability, etc.

The main thing I'll be doing with my D7000 is taking concert shots, live bands, live entertainment. But there will also be portraits, nature, travel, etc. in there.

Is the D7000 a good camera for concert shooting?

Thanks!

JL

PS> with the focus motor can I take advantage of cheaper and faster 'old' manual lenses with the D7000?

jcottone45

Even though I don't have the D7000, I think your making the right move. All the earlier bugs seem to have been dealt with & you'll have a great camera that can use the older film lenses which is a big plus in more ways than I even thought.

jayradio

Thanks for the feedback Joe! :)

Keep it coming folks...may actually pull the trigger on buying the camera later today...

Jason

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there. I've owned my D7000 since Oct of 2010 so I have a fairly good handle on it's abilities.

Concert shooting is a very challenging endevour no matter which camera body you use! :) However with the D7000's low light ability (best in the DX field), you should be able to get your shutter speeds sufficient high that you can freeze the action, etc. However the lens you choose is extremely important in concert photography - that is you'll want a fast lens (minimum of f/2.8) to go along with your D7000. Some nice DX lenses to consider are the 35 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 85 1.8; 17-55 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. As you correctly pointed out, you could also successfully use some of the older lenses that Nikon offers.

The D7000 has a steep learning curve and you may (probably) will get frustrated trying to learn how to get consistenly sharp, pleasing photos (i.e. don't buy it then post about how the camera stinks because you can't get sharp pictures after 1 day! LOL! :)) When/if you do get it here are some basic tips: Keep the shutter speeds high, learn good hand holding technique, exposure properly and try to get the white balance as accurate as you can in camera. Of course there are tons of other things you'll need to learn about (the relationship of ISO, aperture, shutter speed, proper use of the histogram, etc. etc. etc.) but this is a good start.

Good luck!

PS. Nice to see a fellow maritimer on board! I was born raised in Nova Scotia (Halifax) - father born in Saint John, NB and my mother is a "Caper" :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes it's a great choice. One thing that was not mentioned is the fact that the D7000 has a "Quiet" shutter mode. This is specially nice for concert work where people around you will NOT hear the shutter. The IQ is very good and I have some shots in my gallery done at 6400 iso that are just fine for that type of shots. In the old time of film days, I would have never thought I'd be able to shoot that kind of quality at that iso.

Jump in, you'll never regret that camera.

jayradio

Thanks James and Marcel!...here are a couple of examples of what I've already done with my Coolpix L120...I've been shooting for a while, now looking to step up my game.

The Edge - U2 360 Tour final show & Travis Tritt solo Acoustic Tour

6002946493_689414df25.jpg

6227178612_7ee0f21dea.jpg

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
The only issue that you may have is that a lot of major concert venues don't allow you to bring in a DSLR. You shouldn't have much of a problem at clubs but there you'll especially want fast glass because you'll be working in low light.

Jessabelle

I love this camera. I am having a back focus issue, and am sending it into Nikon for repair (under warranty) but I fully expect that once it's fixed, I will be 100% satisfied.

There is a steep learning curve (I upgraded from a D40) but it's so much fun to learn how to use it.

I think you'll like it!

evan

Banned
i have had mine for a few months and love it. i take mostly nature pics in various light conditions. upgraded from the d90 (which i still have). to get the best out of the d7000 you need good glass as it will show the limitations of poorer quality lenses, and you will also need to polish upon your technique. no real issues so far. great piece of kit!

Obir

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I love mine.
If you can get those shots using your Coolpix and jpeg files, imagine what you can accomplish shooting with the d7000 and RAW (NEF) files:cool:

Just my 2 cents:)

Last edited:

ccoulson

I love mine too. It had the backfocus issue, but it has been resolved now. And yes there is a learning curve, but once you start getting those sharp shots... GOSH, they are wonderful!! Please get this camera!!! Take your time learning it and I know you will love it!!!!!

Go ahead and go get it!! You have my permission. lol

jayradio

Ha Ha...thanks Courtnie :p

Well...I did it, I am now the owner of a Nikon D7000 with an 18-105mm lens...now to begin the learning process!

Jason

Thanks for all the input everyone...I'm sure I will have a million more questions!

bobmielke

I've moved up through Nikon's DSLR lineup from the D40X to the D90 & finally the D7000. It is a superior camera to most cameras at any price. It's low light capabilities are truly amazing. I shoot only available light portraits by choice. I routinely shoot, handheld, at !/20" at ISO 4500 using an 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 VRII Nikkor lens. Example below:

1218836149_qG5pc-L.jpg

1132338785_dKNEF-L.jpg