upgrade to D90 from E-420 for better low light performance?

aleedy

Hi everyone,
I currently own an Olympus e-420 which I've had for ~3 years. I love this camera for its small size and portability.
However, lately I feel like I've been limited by its poor low light performance. The max ISO is 1600 but honestly performance at 800 is just barely acceptable and 1600 is too grainy. I've solved some of my problems with a tripod (using slower shutter speeds and lower ISO) but I would like to get better low light shots when I'm just carrying the camera (for example, on photo walks at dusk/dawn).

For this reason I've been looking at switching systems (Olympus really doesn't have much of an upgrade path). I first considered a brighter lens for the Oly but an f/2.8 lens is right at thousand dollars and I don't feel like I want to invest in a dying system.

I've played with Nikons and Canons and honestly, I prefer the way the Nikons feel in hand (comparing d7000 to 60D). I've found a great deal on a nearly new (<1500 shutter actuations) d90 and I think I'm going to jump on it.

According to DXOMark the D90 should give me a full stop of better ISO performance (better results from 800 and acceptable results from 1600?). I'm also thinking that a VR lens should give me another stop or two (Nikon claims 4 I think but that seems a bit aggressive).

At the same time I would purchase a brighter lens (something like the sigma 12-70 f/2.8-4) giving me an even brighter setup.

It seems like these three things combined could solve a lot of my problems and I can get the d90 and sigma lens for about the same price as a d7000 body alone. I've looked at the d5100 also but i prefer the two dial setup of the d90/d7000 and the ergonomics of the camera in general.

Basically, I wanted to see if there are any flaws in my rational before I push the shutter on this. Do you guys think this is a logical and intelligent move to make?

Thanks!

Ruidoso Bill

I was an Olympus owner, actually still have a C8080, then I found Nikon. I think your analysis has been very thorough and well thought out. At this point I would still go for the D7000 and a kit lens like an 18-105. Fairly inexpensive lens but the added performance of the D7000 in ISO will still allow you to do much of the low light challenges you mention. The only reason I say wait and go for the D7000 is newer technology and higher performance, especially where you need it. Just my 2 cents.

Red Earth

I agree with Bill. I would save a bit more cash and step up a body. But there is a good argument for both sides!

Buy the D90 and save the extra money...BUTT I wouldn't skimp on glass. Step that up and get the best you can squeeze out. Upgrade bodies at a later date.
The D90 does not have a mirror lock up option...but it sounds like you are not needing that. The D90 is also discontinued.

The 7000 has much newer technology, as Bill mentioned and seems to meet your needs.

Either way...both great bodies....good luck pondering this out!

PJ

aleedy

Thanks for the input guys.
My budget is ~1500$. I could get a d7000 and kit lens for about that if I wait. But I was hoping to get better glass than the kit lens. Going with the D7000 doesn't leave me room to get a nicer lens, but the D90 does.
If I can get a the D90 body for 500 then that would leave me 1K to spend on glass. Thats why I'm leaning that direction.
If I did do that, what lens would you recommend? Something with similar range as the kit but faster (which is why I mentioned the sigma in my OP)?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Don't underestimate the (I don't like the term) "KIT" lens. Remember that with the D7000 you'll be able to take the iso up to 3200 easy with great quality image (depending on how large you'll be printing of course). I'm sure you could always squeeze a 35 or 50 1.8 with that and you be covered for the "low light" situations.
Shop around.

markD90

i would personally go for the d90 and then get a 70=200 2.8 off ebay! i got my 70=200 for 600 sterling and its been faultless!

Photowyzard

aleedy,

I have owned a D90 for about 2 years now. I love the camera. The feel, the looks, the quality, etc. It is a brilliant camera. I have attached a photo for you I recently took with my Nikon 300 f4. This camera rocks.

Having said that, I wish I knew, when I bought the D90, the D7K was coming out. I would have, HANDS DOWN, gone with the D7K. The images are so much sharper and that is everything to me. Enjoy the sample, hope it helps you in some way to decide.

Pintail-Portrait.jpg

jayradio

I was thinking the same thing as you...but buy the best body you can buy and you can add glass later. That was the advice I got and am glad I listened...I'd go for the d7000 w/18-105 and add a prime 50mm and a good zoom later...just my two cents :)