The old Nikon 50mm f/1.4

invaliduser

Does anyone own one of these? Does it not fit the D7000? For some reason I can't seem to get it to mount.

I bought one to use as a subject that displays other things through it with it's wide aperture but for kicks I wondered what it would be like on my camera for actual use and found that it doesn't fit.

If it doesn't fit, no biggie, it wasn't my intention to use it anyways :rolleyes:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
From what I've read, the lens must be AI or AIS to be mounted on the D7000. There are people doing such lens conversion for about 35-50$. There is a conversion that has to be made to the lens itself. Google Nikon AI conversion. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

invaliduser

Ah, I see.
I probably won't do it. I don't really need this as a lens since I'm using it for abstract photos somehow.
Or is it actually worth doing even when I already have a modern 50mm f/1.8 ?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Ah, I see.
I probably won't do it. I don't really need this as a lens since I'm using it for abstract photos somehow.
Or is it actually worth doing even when I already have a modern 50mm f/1.8 ?

I don't think so since you already have the 1.8. There is something special that happens with these old lenses wide open but they are really hard to manually focus at 1.4 or 1.2. I got a 1.2 55mm but I rarely use it at 1.2. The DOF is so so tiny it's not even funny.

Eye-level

Banned
John White is THE man for doing ai conversions you can find him at AI Conversions for Nikon Lenses: Effective, Fast and Affordable!
He is seriously professional...mills the rings...the whole ball of wax...no cookie cutter machine work with this fellow...

I would go ahead and have John Ai the 50/1.4 despite having the 50/1.8 (which is better than any of the old 50s by virtue of its modern lens coating and AF capability) because it is so cheap and because then you will have a another fast fifty to use.

All of the Nikon 50s (talking old lenses here) have basically poor angular or swirly bokeh and Marcel is correct in that it is very difficult to get your subject in focus because of the very shallow DOF at wide open apertures.

Last edited: